In 1842 Gardeners Arms Hotel was erected on the old Sugar Co. estate, with Charles Kelsey as proprietor. It was later closed by James Bishop.
Mrs Best decided to reopen the hotel and called it the Woolpack. From then until 1928 the proprietors were Rogers, Green, Logan, Chapman, Norris, Carroll, Bennett, Strange, Cropley, Palmer, Mason and Wagstall.
Mr Wagstall died and his wife took over. She was there for twenty years. John O'Brien Jr took over in 1928, Frank O'Brien in 1933. It moved in 1935. Since 1842, it was rebuilt 4 times.
The Woolpack Inn operated from the until 1940, when it was demolished and the Hotel Canterbury opened near the Railway Station.