Wiley Park park and Wiley Park Railway Station Heritage Panel
King Georges Road, Wiley Park This Panel was erected by Canterbury City Council, 2003. Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury, 8th April 2003.
John Valentine Wiley, a retired shoemaker, died unmarried in 1895. In his will, he bequeathed 20 acres of land to Canterbury Council as Trustee for the residents of Canterbury and the general public to use the land as a public park or recreation ground. The land was at the corner of the present Canterbury Road and King Georges Road, now Wiley Park.
Against strong opposition by residents in other parts of the Municipality because of the maintenance costs, Canterbury Council accepted the offer in 1906. Had the Council not accepted the land, it would have gone to John Wiley's two nephews. There was a velodrome in the park for many years, before the amphitheatre was built in 1988.
A new railway station between Lakemba and Punchbowl was opened in June 1938 and called Wiley Park. The station was built at the request of Canterbury Council, of which Alderman S E Parry was Mayor, with the capital cost being met by the Council.
Alderman Stanley E. Parry in 1940. Mr Parry was Mayor of Canterbury from 1932 to 1947, as well as holding other public offices.