Wiley's Farm

From Canterbury Commons
Jump to: navigation, search

Wiley Park was named after the family of Joseph James Wiley, who bought in 1862, 60 acres bounded by today's King Georges Road, Edge Street, Willeroo Street, and a line through the upper part of Canarys Road. He paid £150 for the uncleared land. His son, John Valentine Wiley, left 20 acres of his property in his Will to Canterbury Council in 1906, for a park and recreation area.

References

"Historic Sites of Canterbury", Canterbury and District Historical Society (n.d.).