The Towers Heritage Panel
Cnr Robert and Forsyth Streets, Belmore Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 3rd May 1996.
"The Towers" is a fine example of Victorian Rustic Gothic architecture. It was built about 1888 by David Jones, who had built a number of large houses and the railway station in Bathurst, as well as the Bathurst and Goulburn Courthouses. He was an amateur astronomer, hence the tower. The property of 5.2 hectares (13 acres) which he had purchased in 1854 extended to the present Kingsgrove Road. In the 1890s depression, David Jones suffered financial difficulties and was forced to move to Marrickville, where he died in 1899. "The Towers" was purchased in 1898 by Robert James Forsyth, a member of a prominant family engaged in ropemaking in Sydney for over 100 years (Archibald Forsyth & Co.). The surrounding streets are probably named after his son, Robert Archibald (known as Roy) Forsyth, who died of wounds in France in 1918 during the First World War, after an action for which he was awarded the Military Medal. Robert James Forsyth died in 1920, and his land at Belmore was acquired by the War Service Homes Commission. Houses built on the subdivision were designed for returned soldiers and their families, and they have considerable heritage significance. "The Towers" was rented to tenants until it was bought in 1941 by A.C. Fletcher, a dairyman and milk vender, who occupied it until his death in1987. It was purchased by the then Canterbury municipal Council but was sold in 1994 to the All Saints Greek Orthodox Grammer School for use as a senior campus.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library