The Original Belmore Settlement 1869 Heritage Panels
St Saviour's Anglican Church, 1357 Canterbury Road Punchbowl, opposite Belmore Road Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 27 June 1998.
Somerset Richard Lowry-Corry, fourth Earl of Belmore, became Governor of New South Wales in January 1868. On 5 January 1869, a committee of residents in this district applied to the Council of Education for the establishment of a new public school at a locality named "Belmore", a name chosen presumably to honour the Governor.
The school was to operate in a new weatherboard church building erected by the Church of England in Canterbury Road, near Belmore Road, on the present site of St Saviour's Church, Punchbowl. The Inspector of Schools said that there were 350 residents near the proposed school. Most were in poor circumstances; some had small freehold farms and gardens, and obtained a living selling their produce in Sydney; others were employed in cutting wood and carting it to Sydney. The school opened at the end of July 1869, but moved to near the present King Georges Road in 1879, and in the same year, Belmore Post Office opened nearby.
When the railway opened in 1895, the terminus station was named Belmore, because it was the closest to the settled district of that name. The railway was extended to Bankstown in 1909, and a new railway was built on Punchbowl Road. The name "Punchbowl" was used within a few years for the suburb which grew around the station.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden. Print showing the second Belmore Public School built in 1879 in Canterbury Road near the present King Georges Road courtesy Archives Office of NSW.