The Station Hotel (now the Oasis on Beamish) is located on the corner of Beamish and Clissold Streets Campsie.
"A distinct Australian type of architecture" is how Mr N R Smith, the builder of the hotel, described the building he completed for Tooth & Co. Ltd in 1930 as a cost of £14 000. The plans were drawn by Messrs. Copeman and Lemont, architects of 72B King Street Sydney. N R Smith was a Bexley man with an extensive building business. The name of the hotel is "Station Hotel": so called because of its proximity to the railway.
Although not the first hotel to be erected in Campsie, Station Hotel can claim to be situated on land which was bought for a hotel site long before the Hotel Campsie was thought of. Epic struggles took place in the Parramatta Licencing Court between the "wets and the drys" over applications concerning the site, and another further down the street. In those days many business people of Campsie were openly up against every proposal to put an hotel in the town, and joined forces with the drys, who were a well organised band of prominent local citizens, including the clergy of the Protestant churches and their officers. The Mayors of the day and several aldermen, were anti then, and for a long time they succeeded in keeping Campsie dry.
Later, when Mr R G Downing of Hotel Campsie presented his case to the court and won, the drys weakened a lot. When the hotel became established, they seemed to give up the fight.
Entrance to the residential and private parts of the house was in Clissold Pde. The Campsie Alert (24/7/1930) describes the building:
- "Beautifully polished Queensland maple double doors, set underneath an arch of opaque glass in panels of maple, open to an imposing vestibule and lead to the hall, off which are the dining room, office and stairs, also private entrance to the business premises. The dining room is 25 ft x 17 ft, is well lighted and has fittings of polished maple; furnished nicely. It is a very handsome room. Meals will be served through a servery which has a refrigerator and all necessary equipment, cupborads etc. The kitchen is spacious, well ventilated, and spotlessly white, the walls being white tiled 5ft. 6in from the floor. Ward's best stoves are installed and every modern convenience is there for the cook. Adjacent to the kitchen is the laundry which has fixed tubs and gas copper, and both doors open to a large yard.
- The stairs are particularly attractive, the banisters being of polished maple, whilst the walls are papered in panels of the same wood...combining soft tints, and a soft carpets sets off the whole to good effect."
The Alert also describes the accommodation:
- "On the first floor there are twelve good sized bedrooms, two large sitting rooms, three bathrooms, and a balcony which overlooks Beamish St. Each bedroom is nicely furnished and has separate wall wash basin with nickel fittings and shaving mirror set in a panel of white tiles; there is hot and cold water service and all pipe work is concealed. At the north end of the hall is a door which opens to the fire escape.
- The second floor is similar, but has one more bedroom and no sitting rooms. Due to the elevation being greater, a beautiful panorama view is obtained from the balcony of this floor. The vista opens up to the west with the slopes of North Belmore and Enfield West in the middle distance, featuring green fields which are a dairy farm; and beyond on the skyline, the Blue Mountains stand out. To the east from the other bedroom window,s, can be seen Canterbury Racecourse in its entirety, and the pretty villas of Ashbury and Hurlstone Park; also, those on the slopes of Goodlet's Estate and Croydon Park."
The Alert describes the bar in 1930:
- "The public bar is a circular one and will accommodate a large number of people. The bar is tiled to the metal nosing and has a canopy of maple with embossed glass panels. The colour scheme is chiefly cream with a dado of black and red. There are no columns or supports to the bar, and every inch of bar room space is visible to the bar tenders. Along the wall at convenient height is a ledge for use as a mug rail. The interior of the bar reveals the latest and most hygienic methods of service and appliances for washing and drying of glasses. Off the main bar is a parlour which is served by a trap door from the south end.
- The bottle shop is situated in the middle of Beamish St frontage and is entered by a door there; also from either the public or private bars. The private bar is at the south end of the building in Beamish St and is fitted out with due regard to comfort of its patrons. The cellar is a very large on e, is particularly well lighted and is as cool as a cucumber. In the yard there is ample space for parking cars and there are four garages."
1930, July 24. Campsie’s New Hotel: A Beautiful Structure. Campsie Alert