St Mel's Catholic Church
The first St Mel's was a weatherboard building which had been known as St Anthony's. It was renamed St Mel's by the Parish Priest, Father Kenny, who had sought permission from the Archbishop. The wooden building served as a church/school, with some additions, until a new brick church was built in 1927 on the corner of Duke and Evaline Streets.
"Historic Sites of Canterbury", Canterbury and District Historical Society (n.d.).