Site of Canterbury Town Hall 1888-1963 Heritage Panel
Corner of Howard St. and Canterbury Rd. Campsie Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 29 April 1998. Research for this Panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden.
Canterbury Municipal District was incorporated in 1879, and one of the Council's early decisions was to build a Town Hall
There was some controversy over the site: three alderman each offered a block of land, and for several years, the Council was unable to make a final decision on which alderman's property should be purchased.
In 1887, John Campbell Sharp's allotment was chosen, and W.H. Monckton, an architect from Parramatta, designed a Victorian classical building with a two storey frontage to Canterbury Road and a central tower. Construction began in 1888 and the building was opened in April 1889 by Sir Henry Parkes, Premier of New South Wales.
On the ground floor were a large hall, offices for the staff, and a library; while on the upper floor were the Council Chamber and Mayor's Room. The hall became the social centre of the district, being used for meetings, dances and balls. After the Administration Centre was built in Campsie in 1963, the old Town Hall was demolished to make way for a service station.