Site of Benjamin Taylor's House, "Lakemba" Heritage Panel
Site of Benjamin Taylor's House, "Lakemba" c.1886-1920s
Cnr Haldon St and The Boulevarde, Lakemba Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 3rd May 1996.
The name "Lakemba" was given by Benjamin Taylor to his 22 hectare property (see plan). He had moved on to the land in the 1880s, and named the property after Lakeba (pronounced Lakemba) in Fiji where his second wife's grandparents, Rev and Mrs Cross, had served as missionaries from 1835. His house was near the south-west corner of the present Haldon Street and The Boulevarde intersection. Mr Taylor had a remarkable record in local government in Canterbury - he was an alderman from 1883 to 1888 (including Mayor in 1884-85), Town Clerk from 1888 to 1902, and alderman again from 1904 to 1911 (including Mayor in 1904-07). He was also active in the Methodist Church, and donated the site of the Lakemba Methodist (now Uniting) Church in The Boulevarde. When the railway line was extended from Belmore to Bankstown in 1909, the station on Mr Taylor's land was named Lakemba. The house was demolished in the early 1920s to make way for shops.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden