Site of Aboriginal Resistance to Settlers 1809 Heritage Panel
Site of Aboriginal Resistance to Settlers 1809
Cnr Cullens Rd and Mitcham St, Punchbowl Unveiled by Councillor John Gorrie, Mayor of Canterbury on 7th April 1995.
In 1809, two First Fleeters were given land grants at Punchbowl: William Bond (50 acres) and Frederick Meredith (120 acres). On 26 September 1809, a group of Aborigines, including an Aboriginal leader, Tedbury, gathered on Bond's farm. They were probably of the Bediagul clan of the Darug language group or tribe. According to the Sydney Gazette, they "behaved in a very outrageous manner" and "manifested an inclination to plunder". Meredith joined in the defence of the farm and when spears were thrown, one grazed his ear. The farm was temporarily abandoned. Being between two arms of Salt Pan Creek, the area was probably an important food source for the Aborigines, who no doubt viewed with dismay the intention of Bond and Meredith to settle, clear and cultivate it. The incident was one of many in the Sydney area, and Tedbury, the son of Pemulwy, was believed to have been involved in many of them.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden. Photographs of Hand stencil and Rock engraving courtesy National Parks and Wildlife Service and Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council. Axe grinding grooves courtesy Diann Paine.