Site of "The Punchbowl" Heritage Panel
Punchbowl Road, Belfield (near the Cooks River Cycle Path) Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 22nd April 1999.
"The Punch Bowl" was the name that early settlers gave the almost circular valley surrounding the place where the old road to Georges River crossed Cooks River at a ford. This is now there Georges River Road meets Punchbowl Road (the road to "The Punch Bowl"). When Surveyor Charles Grimes surveyed the area in 1798, he noted thick bush growing along most of the road, with Ironbark, Turpentine and Bloodwood trees, as well as Stringybarks and Angophoras.
The old road to Georges River was probably one of the Aboriginal pathways through the area before white settlement. The people who used these tracks were limited in the amount of food and water they could carry, and thus they followed rivers or waterholes in their journey.
It was at the nearby property called Clareville in 1834 that the convicts who had murdered Dr Robert Wardell, barrister and newspaper editor, of Petersham, were captured after a search of the country between Cooks and Georges Rivers.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden.