Site of "Belmore House" Heritage Panel
Bus Station, Roselands Shopping Centre, Roselands Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 24 April 1997.
John Fenwick, a master mariner and founder of a steam tug service on Sydney Harbour, purchased about 59 acres here in 1881 and built Belmore House, Belmore being at that time the name of the district from present day Belmore to Punchbowl.
The house was a substantial two-storey brick building, with ten rooms, including five bedrooms, upstairs, with stables, a buggy house, hay shed, fernery, dairy and laundry, a garden and surrounding farm. The house was the show place of the area. The grounds were known as Fenwick's Paddock, used by two generations for Sunday School picnics and sporting events. The family remained on the property until March 1942, when it was taken over by the Australian Army as a training area for troops.
The Hon Stanley Parry, MLC, Mayor of Canterbury, bought it in 1943, and convinced Canterbury Council to establish a "Victory Garden" to assist the war effort. The venture was unsuccessful, but the irrigation network was used after the war to establish the Roselands Golf Club.
"Belmore House" became its Club House, but was later demolished to make way for a modern house in the 1950s. Part of the land was subdivided for housing and the Bowling Club was later formed. Later Grace Bros bought the golf course, and the Roselands Shopping Centre opened on the site of the former "Belmore House" in October 1965.
Photographs of John Fenwick and Belmore House circa 1890s, courtesy Hazel Fenwick.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden.