Schwebel's was one of two quarries in Undercliffe - the other being Jackson’s. The stone from these quarries was used in kerbs and gutters,monumental headstones, foundations, homes and public buildings. Canterbury Council purchased the ballast for road making and the rockery stone for council gardens and landscaping. The last big project on which Undercliffe stone was used was the runway at Mascot Airport during the 1940s.
George Schwebel was born in Australia of German parents. His wife Jessie was formerly Miss Jessie Meeks, daughter of James Meeks who settled in Marrickville in 1838, coming from Leigh, Scotland. In the late 1800s, George Schwebel began quarrying in the area around Schwebel Street, Marrickville, and continued opening quarries along lllawarra Road down to Undercliffe. In 1907 he purchased land in Undercliffe Road and started to quarry the stone. George Schwebel had six sons, two of whom worked all their lives in the Undercliffe Quarry. Other stonemasons and labourers were also employed.
MADDEN, Brian J. and MUIR, Lesley. Earlwood's past: a history of Earlwood, Undercliffe and Clemton Park, NSW. [Campsie, NSW]: Canterbury Municipal Council, 1989.