Riverwood railway station
Riverwood is a railway station on the Airport and East Hills Line of the CityRail network. Located in the Sydney suburb of Riverwood, it serves a residential area. Riverwood has an island platform, and is accessed by a road overbridge.
The station opened in 1931 with the opening of the East Hills railway line from Tempe to East Hills, originally as 'Herne Bay' but was renamed Riverwood in 1958. Initially the line was single track and unelectrified, with services operated by steam trains or rail motors connecting to electric trains at Kingsgrove. Electrification arrived in 1939, and the line was duplicated to Riverwood in 1948. Riverwood was the end of the double track section until 1987 when the line was duplicated to East Hills and extended to Glenfield. It used to have terminating facilities (a set of points at the eastern end of the platforms). These were removed in the early 1990s. In 2003, it underwent a significant upgrade, including the installation of passenger lifts from the road overpass to the platforms, providing easy access for wheelchairs. In 2013, a Rail Clearways project to quadruplicate the East Hills line between Kingsgrove and Revesby was completed. The two additional tracks do not have platforms at Riverwood.
Platforms and services
The station is served by four to six trains per hour each way, with additional trains during weekday peak hours.
Notes and references
- "East Hills Line". Nswrail.net. http://www.nswrail.net/lines/show.php?name=NSW:east_hills. Retrieved 3 January 2013.