Punchbowl Post Office
The first mention of a Post Office being established at Punchbowl was in an Inspector’s report dated 21st January, 1913 which stated that a petition was being prepared for this purpose. Several applications for the position were received, and in one it was stated that Suburban Freeholds Ltd. were erecting 200 cottages there. Apparently at this time a letter box was installed outside a store, near the railway station. A further report stated that about 60 residents used the Punchbowl railway station.
In July, 1913 it was decided to establish a Post Office at Punchbowl, under the charge of Mrs. Grace Jones, whose husband was a storekeeper near the railway station. The arrangement was that the letter box be cleared by the Postmaster, and despatched to Campsie, which was an official Post Office. On 1st August 1913 the office was opened for business. Representations were made a few months later that an official office was necessary, but this was rejected as the revenue was only approximately £38 per annum. At that time some of the residents had their letters delivered by a Mounted Postman from the Lakemba Post Office; and those residents living outside the delivery area had to call at the Punchbowl Office for their mail.
In 1917 the Postmaster received an increase of salary from £31 to £45 per annum. The salary when the office was opened was £12 per annum. Mrs Jones resigned in August, 1918 and some difficulty was experienced in securing a successor, as there were only about three shops in the suburb. However, Mrs M. E. Crossley took over the task, carrying it on in the existing premises. In November, 1920, Mrs Crossley resigned and was succeeded on 2nd November, 1920, by Mr. F. H. Boyer, a returned soldier, who took over a small shop about 200 yards away in Matthews Street. It would appear that, at this time, there was a public telephone, and also a telephone connected to the Post Office.
Mr Boyer received £207 per annum salary, and also allowances of £156 per annum to pay the mounted postman who was attached to the office; £78 forage allowance; £26 for the delivery of telegrams; and £6 for carrying the mails to and from the railway station. Shortly afterwards Mr Boyer resigned, and was succeeded by Mr W. B. Jvass. In January, 1922, permission was given for Mr Jvass to move the Post Office from the premises in Matthews Street to a new building in Punchbowl Road, on the opposite side of the line.
In March, 1925, Mr. Wilfred Smith became Postmaster. About this time the Bankstown Progress Association began agitations for the raising of Punchbowl Office to official status. There was only a once a day mail delivery. Miss E. S. G. Lassen succeeded Mr Smith as Postmaster in October, 1921. About this time another Mounted Postman was also provided.
In October, 1927, three permanent positions, as Postmen, were created at Punchbowl. By 1932, an official Post Office building was in course of erection, and it was proposed to raise the office to official status. By 1933, the building was ready and the office was connected by Morse to the G.P.O. On 20th March, 1933 Mr Tattersall took over as official Postmaster, and Miss Lassen ceased duty.
"A Post Office History: Punchbowl”. The Director, Posts & Telegraphs, G.P.O., Sydney (n.d.)