25 acres was resumed by Council in 1917 and was used as a rubbish dump until it was levelled and playing fields established from 1935. But by 1944 residents were still complaining of cattle straying into the park! During the 1950's money was allocated by Council to build a swimming pool in Parry Park, but this money was withdrawn after Council later overturned the decision.
The park was named after the Hon. Stanley E. Parry, OBE. He was an Alderman of Council from 1928-47 and he was Council's longest serving Mayor, from 1932-1947. He served as Masher of t The Legislative Council from 1940 to 1952. He served on the Sydney County Council Electricity Undertaking from 1938-1944 and was its chairman for some years.
Stan Parry was born 23 November 1895 In Ashfield and he died in Petersham on 22 June 1973. He was awarded an OBE in 1963.