Nobbs Flat Heritage Panel
Beaman Park, Wardell Road entrance, Earlwood This Panel was erected by Canterbury City Council, 2004. Unveiled by the Mayor of Canterbury, Councillor Robert Furolo, on 29th April, 2004.
Nobbs Flat was a 60 acre market garden bounded on three sides by Cooks River. It was promised to George Tyrrell in 1814, and occupied by his tenants Gowan and Mary Pickering.
In the late 1820s, 'Pickering's Punt', at the site of today's Lang Road footbridge, became one of the main crossing places of the river. Joseph Nobbs bought the farm, then named 'Cook's Angle', in 1830, and the slab huts near the punt were occupied by his grandson, Joseph Nobbs junior and Joseph Hilton, a basketmaker. They established a market garden and a large orchard on the land.
Sandstone was quarried from the property in the 1850s to build a new house on a river terrace above flood level. This house is still standing.
The land was subdivided into smaller farms in 1883 by Joseph Nobbs's great-grandchildren. Francis Barker bought the stone house and its six-acre flower garden and orchard, and in 1891 leased it as a slaughteryard. In the 1920s, it became part of the Western Suburbs Cricket Union's grounds.