Mary Salmon, in her Evening News article on Canterbury, claims that Moorefields was named after William Henry Moore, the colony’s first free solicitor. See Moorefields/Moorfields - Name Origins and Spellings for more information. Moore engaged extensively in land deals and in 1824 he purchased from Simeon Lord a large tract of 800 acres located at Liberty Plains, south of the Liverpool Road between the seventh and eighth milestones. Moore’s farm, described as having ‘much cleared land’ and being ‘securely fenced for the purposes of grazing’, extended into Canterbury, as far south as Cooks River. For a more definite origin of the name we may have to look overseas and consider Moorfields, a London public reserve which had a special significance in the advancement of the Methodist Church. It was here that John Wesley proved the effectiveness of open-air services as a means of attracting very large congregations.
- Evening News (Sydney, NSW : 1869 - 1931), Saturday 24 September 1904, page 9
- Change and Challenge: The History of the Municipality of Canterbury in NSW (1978) by F.A. Larcombe.