A licence for an inn called the "Mitre Tavern" was first issued to Joseph Bishop from July 1865. In 1857, the licensee was John Sprod, and in 1857 John Grissell. This was one of the alternative roads from Sydney over the new Undercliffe Bridge to the Illawarra (hence Illawarra Road in Marrickville and New Illawarra Road in Bexley). However, the inn brought only bankruptcy to the licensees, with one taking only four shillings and elevenpence in one week.
"Historic Sites of Canterbury", Canterbury and District Historical Society (n.d.).