Mary MacKillop Reserve Heritage Panel
Canterbury Rd, cnr Close St, Canterbury This Panel was erected by Canterbury City Council, 2003. Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury, 2003.
Mary MacKillop (1842-1909) - Mother Mary of the Cross - founded the Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart in South Australia in 1866. The Order, founded for the education of poor children and to care for the deprived and disadvantaged in society, spread throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The Good Samaritan Sisters, who travelled each day from Marrickville, opened St Anthony's Catholic school in 1895 in a church/school in Howard Street Canterbury, completed the previous year. In 1901, the Sisters of St Joseph took over the running of the school. The Order had purchased a house in Fore Street as a convent, Mary MacKillop being one of the owners on the land title. The church/school was moved to Campsie (now St Mel's) in 1915.
Mary MacKillop was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 19 January 1995, and the former Simpson Reserve was re-named Mary MacKillop Reserve by Canterbury City Council in May 1995.
Research for this Panel by Brian Madden and Lesley Muir.Prints courtesy of Trustees of the Sisters of St Joseph.