Joe Williams (born 4 September 1983 in Cowra, New South Wales), an Indigenous Australian, is now a professional boxer following a brief career in rugby league. He was formally a footballer with the Bulldogs, Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs in the National Rugby League competition. He primarily played at halfback.
During the 2007 season, Joe played in the 1st semi-final Souths had reached since 1989. They were defeated by Manly, 30 to 6. As he had played 9 games for Feeder club North Sydney Bears in the NSW Cup, he was eligible to play in the rest of the finals series. They made it through to the Grand Final, only to be narrowly defeated by Parramatta 20-15, after a late try was awarded after a dubious decision.
He was released from his Penrith Panthers contract on 14 May 2008 and joined the Bulldogs. After only two games with the Bulldogs, Williams retired from the game and turned to boxing. He was last known to be playing with Country Rugby League side Dubbo CYMS
- First Grade Debut: 2004 - Round 12, Souths v Cronulla Sharks at Toyota Park, 29 May, scoring three goals
On October 18, 2014 he successfully defended his World Boxing Federation (WBF) junior welterweight world title against Indonesian opponent Rusmin Kie Raha at Bolton Park Stadium. He also managed to obtain a World Boxing Association (WBA) Asian title with a unanimous points victory.
Jow Williams is the son of Wilfred Williams who played for a number of Sydney teams in the late eighties. Joe has spoken recently about his battles with depression, especially during his time in Rugby League. In October a short story was released called the The Enemy Within. He currently runs a gym in the Wagga Wagga area, as well as conduct Motivational Speaking.
- "Characters". South Sydney Story. http://www.southsydneystory.com/Characters.html. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- Paul Kent (17 November 2008). "Ex-Bunny Joe Williams a real knockout in boxing debut". The Daily Telegraph. http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24662015-5012663,00.html. Retrieved 2 February 2009.
- "Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". Sporting Pulse. http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=7-2130-0-0-0&sID=26424. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Williams joins Penrith" (fee required). AAP Sports News. 2007-09-06. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-143453452.html. Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- "Williams released". Penrith Panthers. 2008-05-14. http://penrith.panthers.com.au/Default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=764. Retrieved 2008-05-14.
- "WILLIAMS JOINS BULLDOGS FOLLOWING PANTHERS RELEASE". RLeague.com. 2008-05-14. http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=30397. Retrieved 2008-05-14.