Ald. James Beaman was born in 1910 at Balmain and educated at St. Joseph’s Catholic School Rozelle and Sydney Technical High, Ultimo. He was married at Homebush in 1939 and has a son and two daughters. He moved into his own home in Earlwood in 1940. He served with the R.A.A.F. for three years in the last war mostly on active service in New Guinea and New Britain. His aim has been the improvement of the quality of life throughout the municipality in general and South Ward in particular. From 1941 to 1956 he was honorary secretary of the Progress Associations of South Ward and his election as Alderman in December, 1956 followed naturally from his active interest in local government. His real worth as an alderman was soon discovered by the electors who returned him eight times on the first count.
Ald. Beaman became president of Customs House R.S.L. Sub-Branch after his return from active service. He was awarded life membership for his interest in Canterbury Hospital and he is well-known for his active assistance to sporting organisations, youth groups and the senior citizens.
Larcombe FA "Change and challenge: a history of the municipality of Canterbury, NSW", Canterbury Municipal Council: Campsie, 1979.