This was the earliest farm occupied in Belfield. Its boundaries are approximately Benaroon Road, Lakemba Street, Burwood Road, Paxton Avenue, across the railway line to Bruce Avenue, Burwood Road and Knox Street, making it an unusual L-shaped grant.
When James Meehan went in 1821 to measure the cleared farm for Thomas Hyndes, a timber merchant, he was asked to "include the house and stockyard", which had been there since 1809. The buildings were outside the proposed rectangle shape for the grant, so Meehan was forced to include a small area to the north-east, giving the farm its peculiar shape.
Thomas Hyndes went on to be the chief benefactor of St Thomas' Church Enfield; his portrait hangs in the church and he is buried in the churchyard.
"Historic Sites of Canterbury", Canterbury and District Historical Society (n.d.).