Henry Homer, after whom Homer Street is named, lived on a farm in Kingsgrove Road between Homer Street and William Street from the mid 1800's. He died in December 1900, aged 88, and was buried in Moorefields Cemetery. In an advertisement in the Sydney Morning Herald, 17 October 1882, his house is described as a "comfortable family cottage residence" containing "6 ground-floor rooms, with 2 attics, with verandah in front, besides which are kitchen, servant's room, pantry and storeroom, large dining hall, and two back rooms. Detached are new coachhouse, stable, cowstalls, washhouse, dairy, harness-room, storeroom, etc etc.". The rooms were "tastefully furnished in modern style". The house was at the corner of Kingsgrove Road and Homer Street.Henry Homer was still active in local movements in the 1870-80's. At one time St Albans Church of England held church services in a coach house on his property.
"Historic Sites of Canterbury", Canterbury and District Historical Society (n.d.). Roberts, T. M. (n.d.) History in Street Names