Essex Hill Farm
Originally a farm bounded by Punchbowl Road and the present Macdonald and Lakemba Streets, it stretched to halfway between Fairmount and McCourt Streets, and was a grant of 50 acres to Samuel Hockley, a member of the New South Wales Corps who came from Essex in England. When he died, his property was divided between his two children, John Samuel Hockley and Sarah Smith.
By the 1870's, the farm housed a settlement of several families, including William and Maria Millar, Margaret and John Tritton, and Colin Macdonald, sawyers and market gardeners. A Congregation Church and a half-time school were founded at Essex Hill, but after the railway line was built, Lakemba became the centre of population, and Essex Hill as a suburb was forgotten.
"Historic Sites of Canterbury", Canterbury and District Historical Society (n.d.).