Dunstaffenage Street (Hurlstone Park) is one of the streets in a subdivision of Miss Sophia Campbell’s Canterbury Estate made in September 1875. Other streets in the subdivision were Fernhill, Crinan, Duntroon, Kilbride, Melford, Hardy, Hanks, Louise and Garnet.
The name "Dunstaffnage” is the name of a castle on the coast of Argyll, not far from the city of Oban. The Campbell Clan inhabited Argyll, supposedly from the time of the legendary Fingal - so Dunstaffnage (this is the correct spelling) is a name associated with Robert Campbell's family. Since the street is actually part of the estate owned by Robert Campbell, it is fairly safe to assume that either the family, or a developer with a sense of history, named the street.
The first appearance of Dunstaffenage Street in Sands’ Directory is in the 1885 edition, where it is mistakenly spelt "Dunslaffnace Street", and is shown as the home of Richard and Anthony Blamire, brickmakers, Robert Marshall, and James Newman. James Pendlebury, another brickmaker, moved there, in 1884, and, with Robert Marshall and the Blamire Brothers, started a brickyard. William H. Turkington was their carrier. In 1894 Ashfield's garbage was being tipped into the brick pit by Elijah Pendlebury.
There have been three attempts to change the name of the street:- in July 1881, to Campbell Street; about 1882, to Beaconsfield Street; and in 1898, to any shorter name so that “the average present day man” would be able to get his tongue round “Without so much loss of time.”
The road was cleared and stumped in October 1880 for £5 an acre (indicating that the undergrowth was fairly thick) and the sewerage system reached there in 1914.
Dunstaffnage Castle (now in Strathblyde) was the home of the Scottish kings before they removed their capital and Coronation Stone to Scone; the castle was later the fortress of the MacDougalls, but was stormed and taken by King Bruce who gave it and the hereditary title of Captain to the Campbells. Flora MacDonald was imprisoned there after leading Bonnie Prince Charlie to safety following his defeat at the Battle of Culloden. Ruins of three round towers and walls forming a four-sided stronghold dating from the 15th century are all that remain.
Incidentally, the small village of Kilbride is near Dunstaffnage Castle, fairly close to another castle called Duntrune, a 17th century fortress on the shores of Loch Crinan.
"Dunstaffenage Street", Lesley Muir. 1979.