Croydon Park Post Office
The establishment of a post office at Croydon Park was requested in a petition to the Postmaster-General in October, 1914. The leading signature on the petition was that of Fred, W. J, Lyons.
Mrs. Harriet E. Parker whose Confectionery and Stationery shop was situated at the corner of Seymour Street and George's River Road, was nominated as Postmistress. It was mentioned that “At present there are five shops established at Croydon Park, six others are nearing completion and this is a large and growing centre. Our nearest post office is Enfield, distant over a mile".
At this time, letters for the district were delivered twice daily from Croydon. A letter receiver was situated near the corner of Brighton Avenue and George's River Road.Mrs. Parker was appointed Postmistress on 1st March, 1915 when the non-official post office was opened in her shop.
Mr. F. W. Ernert, Chemist, succeeded Mrs. Parker when she resigned, and was appointed Postmaster on 16th October, 1916. His premises were reported as being "about 50 yards" from the former post office. The public telephone which had been connected as an extension to the telephone in Mrs Parker's office was transferred to a position outside Mr Emert's shop. Miss Emily A. Wheeler was appointed Postmistress when Mr Emert resigned. The post office was transferred to her premises "three doors away" and was opened there on 2nd January, 1919.
Following the sale of Mrs Wheeler's business, Mr. Lionel G. Cheyne conducted the post office at the same premises from 1st November, until 15th December, 1919, when he resigned. As no one was willing to conduct the post office, it was closed as from 15th December,1919. A request for the establishment of an official office was declined, as the amount of postal business conducted did not justify an official office. The public telephone was connected direct to the telephone wires (instead of through the post office telephone) when the post office was closed.
Post Office re-opened
The Croydon Park Post Office was re-opened on 1st September, 1920, in a general store at the corner of George's River Road and Balmoral Avenue. Mr J. W. Murphy was appointed Non-Official Postmaster. A telephone line was connected to the Ashfield Post Office for the transmission of telegrams.
Mr. William Philpot who succeeded Mr. Murphy on 16th August, 1921, conducted the post office in the same premises until 1923. In May, 1923, representations for the establishment of an official post office were renewed, and a deputation asked the Postmaster-General for an office to be established nearer to the main shopping centre, adjacent to the School. As an official post office was not justified, the Department agreed to endeavour to find a more convenient site and to provide Savings Bank and Money Order facilities. Representations were also being made for a telegram delivery service from Croydon Park Post Office.
The post office was removed to the “Ironmongery and General Hardware Store” of Mr T. J. Tappin, at the corner of George's River Road and Brighton Street, and Mr. Tappin was appointed Postmaster on 16th July, 1923. Money Order facilities were provided and a branch of the Commonwealth Savings Bank was opened at the post office on 13th August, 1923.
Mr H. S. Foulkes was appointed Postmaster on 12th June, 1926, when Tappin resigned, and the office was removed to new premises at 56 George’s River Road, adjacent to the site where the Croydon Park Post Office was originally established. It was reported in September, 1926, that mails from Croydon Park were conveyed by messenger to Croydon Post Office, and telegrams were delivered from Enfield and Ashfield.
Mr William F. J. Punshon was appointed Postmaster on 1st December, 1926, and the post office was moved to 150 George’s River Road, where Mr Punshon conducted a confectionery and mixed business. The office was conducted at the same site until the completion of an official post office building in March, 1952.
Mr. Punshon agreed to deliver telegrams within a limited radius of the post office, and this facility was introduced on 20th December, 1926.
Succeeding Non-Official Postmasters at Croydon Park were:
- H. E. Malone 1 Sep. 1927
- Miss Florence Wood 16 Apr. 1928
- C. White 26 Aug. 1929
- Thomas Greenwood 17 Mar. 1930
- James O'Regan 22 Feb. 1932
- L. G. Young 10 May. 1937
- J. S. Brown 1 Jun. 1937
- H. Littlejohns 1 Mar. 1938
- C. W. Watson 16 Jun. 1941
- W. P. Marr - 1 Jun. 1942
As postal business increased additional staff were employed at Croydon Park. The office was advanced in status to that of “Full Time Service” on 1st July,' 1942, and a full time Assistant was provided at Departmental expense. Subsequently approval was given for the employment of a part-time Assistant for 20 hours weekly. The allowance for telegram delivery was discontinued on 4th August, 1941, and the delivery of telegrams for the area was arranged from the adjacent official post offices at Croydon, Ashfield and Enfield.
During the early development of the district, mail had been delivered from the official post office at Croydon. Later the Enfield delivery was extended to a portion of Croydon Park, so that until official conditions were introduced at Croydon Park, letter deliveries were made from both the Croydon and Enfield post offices. Letter deliveries from Croydon Park post office were commenced on 1st April, 1952.
Official Post Office
The status of the Croydon Park Post Office was raised to that of official post office as from 18th March, 1952, and postal business was transferred to a new building erected on a site acquired in 1927, at the corner of George's River Road and Dunmore Street. This building was a prefabricated ’’Bristol" aluminium structure, erected at a cost of £19,504.
Official Postmasters were appointed to Croydon Park as follows:
- K. C. Wild 18 Jul. 1952
- K. C. Brown 3 Feb. 1955
- H. Firth 20 Jun. 1962
"An Australian Post Office History: Croydon Park”. The Director, Posts & Telegraphs, G.P.O., Sydney (n.d.)