Croydon Park (Park)

From Canterbury Commons
Jump to: navigation, search

Croydon Park was the first private land given to Council for a public park. It was donated by W.J. Hobbs in 1882 and was dedicated as a park five years later. It took its name from the original land subdivisions in the area, for which Hobbs was the mortgagee. The land was sold in two sections in 1887 and 1889, collectively known as "Croydon Park". The area of the park was originally flood prone and included a large lagoon and creek. The river banks were concreted during the depression and this made the upper reaches of the river into a stormwater channel!