Clyde Kennedy Stand

From Canterbury Commons
Jump to: navigation, search

Named after Sir Clyde Kennedy, this is part of the Canterbury Park Racecourse. Kennedy lived in Sydney as was successful in the business world, and gave service to rugby and horse racing. He was later knighted for his services to business and racing.[1]

The construction of a new grandstand at a cost of £415 000. It was officially opened by the premier, Neville Wran in August, 1976.[2]

The main features of this ‘magnificent facility’ include seating for 2160 persons on the viewing deck and internally for 1000 patrons to view the races in air-conditioned carpeted comfort. The stand contains such amenities as a restaurant, liquor bars, and closed circuit T.V. monitors.[3]

References

  1. https://www.mags.school.nz/Story?Action=View&Story_id=2193
  2. LARCOMBE, Frederick A. Change and challenge: a history of the municipality of Canterbury. [Canterbury, NSW]: Canterbury Municipal Council, 1979. p. 184
  3. LARCOMBE, Frederick A. Change and challenge: a history of the municipality of Canterbury. [Canterbury, NSW]: Canterbury Municipal Council, 1979. p. 184