Church Street precinct has a number of historic buildings and sites within a small area - St. Paul's Anglican Church and churchyard, the former Church of England schoolhouse, the original public school building and the house "Beulah Vista". St. Pauls Church and churchyard is built on part of Robert Campbell's Canterbury Estate, on land donated by Sophia Ives Campbell, his daughter. The church was designed by Edmund Blacket, the most fashionable architect of his day, and built from local sandstone. It was completed in October 1859, and consecrated by the Bishop of the Diocese on April 12, 1860.
The street used to be named "Sugar House Road" but was changed to Church Street circa 1883.