Canterbury and District Historical Society s2 n07
FOREWORD (S2 N07)
An important aim of a Historical Society is to encourage research into history, and to publish the result of that research. A Journal is one of the best ways of publishing research, because a Journal has permanence greater than that of a circular or even of a lecture, and so the effort put into research has a greater chance of surviving for future readers. Of course, a lecture is a very important means of spreading information, but unless the subject matter is put into writing and published, nothing further is to be gained from it.
For many years, the Canterbury and District Historical Society has been publishing a Journal devoted to research into local history. To commence such a Journal is rather ambitious, and to continue it deserves the support of all. Various members of the Society have spent many hours on research work and in writing up their efforts. They are to be congratulated on their good work. The results are presented in the hope that these snippets of local history will enlighten and stimulate readers. Perhaps others will be encouraged to undertake their own research.
Finally, the contributors thank the Society as a whole and all readers of this Journal, for their support and interest.
FIRST PRINTED AUGUST, 1975. REPRINTED FEBRUARY. 1984.
ERRATUM: Page 25. Extracts from "The Echo”, 2nd Oct., 1890.
Canterbury House was built by Mr Arthur Jeffreys, not Mr Goodlet. After others, Mr John Hay Goodlet purchased it.
GEORGE WALLACE NICOLL: MERCHANT - SHIPOWNER - MAYOR OF CANTERBURY
On the 10th November 1906 the following Notice appeared in the Ashfield "Advertiser":
- "The death of Mr. G. W. Nicoll took place at his residence "Blink Bonnie", William Street. Earlwood. He was 58 years of age. For the last four years he suffered from Locomotor Ataxia. He was a most prominent :and highly esteemed steamship proprietor in Sydney. For sixty years the Nicoll family operated and carried on the North Coast Shipping trade, the Nicoll line of ketches and schooners being started by the late :Mr. G.R. Nicoll of Dundee and Sydney, his sons the late G.W. and B.B. Nicoll M.L.A. succeeded to the business and gradually put on a fine fleet of Coastal Steamships. The Nicoll Steamers included such old :time names familiar to early settlers - such as "Bonnie Dundee", "Wallace & Bruce", "Truganani", "Saucy Jack" , "Lismore", "Helen Nicoll", "Richmond", "Janet Nicoll", "Wyrallah". Later the "modern" steamers :added were - "Dorrigo", "Tweed", "Byron", "Karoah" and several others.
- It has been said Mr. Nicoll was the largest private shipowner in Australia. Mr. Nicoll leaves a widow and eight children, seven sons, Wallace, Allan, George, Norman, Bruce, Angus and Malcolm, and one :daughter, Mrs. G. F. Hocking."
The above notice, along with that containing the information that he had passed away on Sunday, 4th November, 1906, culminated many months of research into the life of a man whose name first came to my notice when I had the privilege of studying the records of the Forest Hills Progress Society. It was mentioned in their early minutes that several meetings were held at "Blink Bonnie" the home of Mr. G. Nicolls, J.P. The name was so fascinating that I became very interested to find out what story, if any, lay behind both the house and the man.
George Nicoll and his brother Bruce who traded under the name of G. & B. Nicoll first appear in Sands Directory in 1875 as Merchants with premises in Erskine Street. In the 1877 edition they are shown as Commission Agents and in 1879 they are first mentioned as shipowners, with a very fine advertisements:
- STEAMERS TO RICHMOND RIVER
- S.S. "BONNIE DUNDEE” 300 tons
- S.S. "RICHMOND" 400 tons
- Run continuously between Sydney and Lismore situated 78 miles above the entrance to the Richmond River and the head of navigation on the river. One of the steamers are dispatched from the Grafton Wharf :Sydney, 6 times per month or every five days weather permitting. Both steamers have been built expressly to order in Scotland to suit the requirements of the trade.
- Rates of freight....19/- per ton.
- Unrivalled accommodation for passengers.
- G. & B. NICOLL. Proprietors. Erskine street.
In 1880 a further advertisement appeared which is most entertaining in view of the glossy cruise folders in vogue to-day: -
- G. & B. NICOLL - GRAFTON WHARF REGULAR STEAM COMMUNICATION TO THE RICHMOND & CLARENCE RIVERS
- The splendid new steamships;
- "Australian" 500 tons "Richmond" 400 tons
- "Lismore" 500 tons "Truganini" 300 tons
- Are despatched at regular weekly intervals from Grafton Wharf carrying mails, passengers and cargo and stopping at all landing places on the rivers. The saloons are all amidships are roomy and well ventilated :and away from the unpleasant proximity to the machinery. An excellent table is kept and every accommodation and convenience available. The steamers being all new are a special advantage to passengers. :Steerage passengers supplied with bedding.
- N.B. This line of steamers were the first to introduce LOW RATES.
- G. & B. NICOLL. Props.
- H. Grafton Wharf.
The history of the ships makes most interesting and often tragic reading and shows clearly the hazards attached to the coastal trade. The "Bonnie Dundee" an iron screw steamer which was built in 1877 in Dundee, George Nicoll’s birthplace, was run down and sunk by the S.S. "Barrabool" on the night of the 10th March 1879 about 8 miles south of Newcastle. Five lives were tragically lost in this collision. Another ship the "Richmond", a steel screw steamer built in 1878, was lost at Port Macquarie in 1884 when crossing out. She remained a landmark in the area until the old channel was reclaimed and the wreck buried under what later became the camping area.
The "Australian" was larger than either of the above vessels and was built in 1879 at Dundee. She was also an iron screw steamer. She was later sold to interests in Tasmania but ultimately suffered the same fate, being wrecked at Wardang Island, South Australia on the 8th May, 1912.
The "Casino" a steel screw steamer, also built at Dundee in 1881 was named after the town on the Richmond River. She accommodated 70 passengers. She was built for the Nicoll Bros., but was sold on arrival in Sydney to the Belfast & Kororiot Steam Navigation Co. of Melbourne. Although she did not remain with Nicoll Bros., her subsequent history is worth recording. She apparently led a fairly uneventful career with the exception of a couple of minor groundings until on 9th July, 1932, when she was lost only half a mile from the wharf at Appollo Bay with the loss of ten lives. A further ship the "Lismore", a steel screw steamer was later wrecked at Shaws Bay at Ballina in 1885.
The firm of Nicoll Bros. eventually merged with the firm of Nipper & See who had also commenced trading in the 1870's. Mr. (later Sir John) See with Mr. Nipper extended their operations to include the Bellinger, Nambucca and Hastings as well as the Manning Rivers and carried on a very profitable busIness. Their fleet included the "Coorong", "Rosedale", "Fernmount", "Lawrence", "Burrawong". and "Wellington". Other vessels included the "Richmond", "Australian" and the "Helen Nicol" which had formed part of the Nicoll Bros, fleet.
The "Helen Nicol", incidentally, was built in 1882 in Dundee for the Nicoll Bros. but went to Nipper & See on arrival. She was later sold in 1893 to Adelaide owners, coming back to Sydney in 1900 as a collier for Jones Bros. After spending 30 odd years of faithful service she was scrapped in 1932.
Their greatest rival in the shipping trade at that time was the Clarence & Richmond Steam Navigation Co. They had a large fleet of ships and one, the "Electra" built in 1887, was the first vessel on the coast with refrigeration and electric light. The Company's name was changed in the late 80’s to the Clarence Richmond & Macleay Rivers Steam Navigation Co. Ltd.
On the 18th August 1891, the two rival concerns of John See & Co. and The Clarence Richmond & Macleay Rivers Steam Navigation Co, merged and became the North Coast Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. and the combined capital increased to what amounted at the time to be the staggering sum of a quarter of a million pounds.
The amalgamation of the two leading companies on the North Coast (Nicoll Bros, having merged with Nipper & See some years before) naturally resulted in considerable benefits to the settlements on the rivers. With the elimination of the inevitable duplication which had previously existed when the companies operated individually, they were able to offer considerably lower freight and passenger charges.
However, several firms with business interests on the coast, still owned and operated small fleets, mostly to carry their own produce down to Sydney, and it appears that while the firm of Nicoll Bros, merged with Nipper & See, the brothers Nicoll continued to operate individually, with a small fleet each.
When the Richmond-TWeed railway was completed, Mr. George Nicoll had in the trade the "Wollumbin" and the "Cavanba". The "Wollumbin" was a wooden screw steamer built in 1893 at Jervis Bay. She suffered the apparently inevitable fate of being wrecked near the Bellinger River on the 10th November, 1905. The "Cavanba" was a steel screw steamer built in 1901 at Paisley for George Nicoll. The name "Cavanba" was the native name for the Byron Bay area. This ship was later sold to China in 1916 and was renamed "Tungyuan"; afterwards the name was changed to "Lai H'sing".
However, as will be seen later she was first sold to the North Coast Steam Navigation Co.
In 1904 he ordered the “Noorebar" for his fleet. It was built for him at Kinghorn. The Noorebar is a native name meaning "Place where the Noore Vine Grows”. She was subsequently sold in 1920 in Fiji, resold in 1924 in Djambi, Sumatra and was scrapped in August 1932. Another ship called the "Duranbah" a steel screw steamer was built in 1905 also at Kinghorn. This was called after the native name for a large type of jumping ant.
By this time George Nicoll was forced by reason of illhealth to dispose of his interests, not only in Byron Bay, but in the Tweed River and at Woolgoolga and Coffs Harbour as well. The North Coast S. N. Co. at once made an offer for the ships and the business connections. The "Duranbah" went directly to the North Coast Steam Navigation Co. on arrival in Australia and was sold in 1922 to W. R. Carpenter and fitted with oil engines. They also acquired the new "Noorebah".
His brother, Bruce Nicoll had been operating the "Emma Pyers" a drogher built in 1886 on the Richmond River and the "Wyralla" an iron twin screw steamer built in 1887 in Sydney. It was named after a town on North Arm, Richmond River. These steamers were also purchased by the N.C.S.N. Co. and with them came his business and goodwill. The "Emma Pyers" was abandoned in 1930 as being beyond repair and the "Wyralla was afterwards sold to interests in Victoria and was run down and sunk in the fairway at Port Phillip in 1900.
During his time of prosperous activity, George Nicoll had moved to Earlwood and about 1882 built "Blink Bonnie", This was described in newspapers of the day as being a "Fine Home", In a brief conversation with one of his sons, I was told that his father had been born at Dundee in Scotland and gave the house a distinctly Scottish name.
He became very interested in local affairs becoming an alderman on the Canterbury Municipal Council and was elected Mayor in 1899. On Saturday, 9th September, 1899, the following item appeared in the Ashfield "Advertiser":-
- "On Wednesday the 6th the Annual Ball in aid of funds for Western Suburbs Cottage Hospital was held in the Canterbury Town Hall. The Hall was most :tastefully decorated by Mr. Jesse Haines, Gardener at "Blink Bonnie" the residence of the Mayor, with tree- ferns, flowers, Chinese lanterns and greenery."
At this time his health, which later forced him to dispose of his shipping interests, had started to cause him concern and in the Council Minutes of 4th December, 1899, it makes mention that Mr. Nicoll had announced that owing to his illhealth and on the advice of his doctor he would be forced to resign and shortly afterwards there is a mention that he and Mrs. Nicolls had booked a passage for a trip to Europe. His resignation became effective on the 7th December, 1899, and shortly after this he and Mrs. Nicolls travelled overseas.
While he was away he sent regular letters back to the "Advertiser" relating the highlights of their journey, which were printed from time to time. He also sent back a letter resigning from the Council and said he would not seek re-election on his return.
On Saturday, 18th August, 1900, the "Advertiser" published the following item of news;
- "Ex-Alderman and Mrs. G. W. Nicolls of Canterbury are at Brechin, a Scottish Cathedral City, where Mrs. Nicolls was born. Mr. Nicolls has consulted the most eminent Doctors concerning his failing eyesight. He :has been told it is incurable, being optical atrophy. They are returning by the R.M.S. "Oruba" on October 13th."
He remained active despite his illhealth, attending many of the meetings of the Forest Hills Progress Society, a very active group formed in 1902, which later became the Earlwood Progress Society, where as mentioned earlier the name of "Blink Bonnie" first came to my attention. On the 15th September, 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Nicoll returned from a Pacific Island Cruise by S.S. Moama.
His death on the 4th November, 1906, marked the end of a most interesting and profitable life. He was survived by his wife, seven sons and a daughter. His large funeral was attended by many well-known local figures including the Mayor and Mayoress, many former business acquaintances, including Mr. Bell, Manager of the N.C.S.S. Co., and Captain Hunter of the steamer "Noorebar", who brought that vessel from the builders' yards in Scotland, on which occasion he was accompanied by Mr. Nicoll himself and the employees of "Blink Bonnie".
"Blink Bonnie" is still standing in a small back street in Earlwood. A sad and neglected shadow of its former glory, completely surrounded by houses which have encroached practically to its verandahs. Recently some effort has been made to modernise (regrettably not to restore) it, but it still retains a couple of rather fine rooms, the fire places and high ceilings still hinting at a former splendour. The hallway and the long verandahs fortunately still remain, but it takes a great deal of imagination to conjure up the long sweeping drive down which Mr. Nicoll’s carriage carried him on his way to the City each morning and the extensive grounds with their beautiful gardens which were a feature of "Blink Bonnie" in its heyday and must have extended all the way to William St.
As a final tribute to a most remarkable man, an extract from the Yearly Annual of 1885 says when speaking of the Brothers Niccoll -
- "Some nine years ago Mr. Nicoll of Sydney in conjunction with his brother opened up the Richmond River trade by laying on a line of steamers. At that time there were not more than 2,000 inhabitants in that :rich and productive district. Since then, owing to the energy and enterprise of Mr. Nicoll there are about 15,000 people settled there." They go on to say - "Nine years ago the Richmond River was practically :unknown; to-day it is one of the most prosperous districts in the colony; and this is certainly owing to Mr. Nicoll's steamers opening up the district."
With acknowledgments to by Thelma M. Roberts. "The North Coast Run" by Michael Richards published in 1967.
Nora Peek for items copied from the Ashfield "Advertiser."
Canterbury Municipal Council Minutes & Sands Directory.
CANTERBURY DISTRICT - 1832
"The New South Wales Calendar and General Post Office Directory, 1832," contained much information about Sydney and the state at that time, but the Canterbury district did not warrant much attention. The only Post Offices in the present Metropolitan Area were at Sydney, Paramatta (sic) and Liverpool, and there were 15 Post Offices at other places (Canterbury Post Office was not established until 1858).
The 1832 edition was the first to contain a directory of householders, and there is no mention of Canterbury or Kingsgrove. Liverpool Road is given as the address of J. Campbell, Elizabeth Crook (Glebe-house Academy) and G. Pit D’Arcy, Rose- Cottage. The only other names which may refer to local residents are:
Edward Buckley, Moorfields, Liverpool. Joseph Chandler, Bexley, Liverpool. Leslie Duguid, Tempe, Cook’s River. William Elyard, sen. & junior, Burwood, Parramatta. The Hon John Stephen, Punch Bowl, Liverpool. Joshua Thorpe, Cook’s River, Sydney.
Mrs. Laycock, who had owned Kings Grove Farm from 1804 to perhaps 1829, is listed in Pitt Street, although she had died on 12th May, 1831. Her son, Samuel, who had owned 100 acres at Campsie, was then at Richmond. Some other local land-owners gave Sydney addresses.
In a description of the roads leading out of Sydney is this paragraph on page 47 referring to a point at 1 ¾ miles from the Macquarie Place Obelisk (that is at the present Parramatta Road - City Road intersection):
- "The road leading to Petersham and Cooks River on the left; a little further along this road are the gardens and nursery of Mr Shepherd, a very spirited, practical horticulturist. This road passes by the back :of the Race Course, and is fair travelling for a gig as far as the ford at Cook’s River, across which, are Tempe and other country residences - the bush roads; from this ford open into the country which lies :between Cook's and George’s rivers."
Further out on the Parramatta Road, at 5 ¼ miles from Sydney, was the recently established inn "Speed and Plough" on the right, and on the left, the Great South Road to Liverpool and the Cowpastures.
On page 51 is this description of the Great South Road (the figures at the beginning of the lines are the distance from Sydney in miles. The figures at the conclusion are the distance from place to place):
- "5 ¼ The great South road on the left, leaves the Parramatta Road at Speed the Plough Inn,(vide Parramatta road) 5 ¼
- 6 Canterbury farm to the left.
- 7 A farm of eight hundred acres to the left belonging to W. H. MOORE, Esq. extends to the eighth mile stone; there is much cleared land, and the whole is securely fenced for the purpose of grazing.
- 8 ¼ Building on the right, 3.
- 8 ¼ George’s river, (left) old road leading to the Punch Bowl, otherwise called Clairville, the present residence of Mr. Justice STEPHEN. It is situated in a sort of basin surrounded by gently rising ground, :hence the name of Punch Bowl. Several bush tracks lead to the farms lying between George's and Cook’s rivers; on Salt Pan Creek, and on the upper part of George’s river, and further into the wild country :to the South, where a large tract has been recently granted to the church and school Estate. There are also extensive tracts of unallocated land, of much capability, on the banks of George's river.
- 9 Some buildings (right) called "the Glebe", purchased from the church, and recently the residence of the widow of the late WILLIAM BALCOMB, Esq. There is now a Ladies’ Boarding School at this place. A road runs through the Glebe to the Parramatta road, which it joins a little beyond Powell's bridge, between the nine and ten mile stones, (vide Parramatta road).
- 9 ¼ Moore's bridge across Cook's river; on the left, the Kangaroo Inn.
- 11 New Inn on right, the King's Arms, kept by W, JACKSON, where the Liverpool coach changes horses; and where most travelers on the road, stop to refresh and rest their horses. In this neighborhood on either :side the road, are some magnificent iron bark forests"
On page 52 is this statement referring to the road as far as the Lansdowne Bridge:
":From Moore's bridge the country on either side is comparatively flat, and thickly timbered; this county of Cumberland being more uniformly thickly wooded than any other portion of the same extent in New South Wales."
As an indication of distance along the Road, and not of property boundaries, the mileages above are as follows:-
6 miles: vicinity of Queens Street;
7 miles: from about Greenhills Street to past Burwood Road;
8 ¼ miles: about Wentworth Road
8 ½ miles: The Broadway, Enfield;
9 miles: about Homebush Road;
9 ½ miles: between Homebush Road and Cosgrove St.;
11 miles: about opposite Noble Avenue.
For the 1832 resident who could afford the fare (Liverpool - Sydney; 4 shillings in and two shillings outside), the Sydney Royal Mail set out from Liverpool Post Office each morning at 6.30 a.m. changing horses at the Royal Arms (or the King's Arms) 9 miles distant, at 8.30 a. m. (This would be at the present Chullora). Our Canterbury resident could join after this and arrive at the G.P.O. at 10.30 a.m. For the return journey, the Mail coach left the G.P.O. at 4 p.m., calling at Polack's London Tavern and Livery Stables, 61 George St., for passengers, changing horses at the Royal Arms at 6 p.m., and arriving at Liverpool at 7:30 p.m. At the higher fare of 6 shillings inside and 4 shillings outside, the Liverpool Defiance, Post Coach, set out every evening from Harts Hotel (Hart's George and Dragon Family Hotel, Mail Coach Office, and Livery Stables, 41 Pitt St.) at 4 p.m., calling at the London Tavern, and Ayton’s Woolpack Inn, Brickfield Hill, for passengers, changing horses at Weaver's Arms, 11 miles distant at 5.30 p.m. and arriving at Liverpool at 7 p.m.
B. J. Madden
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND, CAMPSIE
MY RECOLLECTIONS OF THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND IN CAMPSIE -ROY ATTENBOROUGH
A few years after the turn of the century, my parents took up residence at the lower end of Campsie. I was then six years old with a younger brother aged, two.
Church Services - of a sort - were held in an upstairs room above a Tailor's Shop at the corner of Brighton Avenue and Browning Street. Because there was no Sunday School at that time, I attended the Presbyterian Church then located in Shakespeare Street. Later on, due to increased interest, Church Services and Sunday School classes were held in a large shed on the property of a Mr. Harding.
Early in 1909, at the request of many Campsie residents, the then Rector of St. Pauls's, Canterbury, convened a meeting for the purpose of establishing a Church of England in Campsie, and a committee was formed to obtain a site. Meanwhile, services were conducted by lay-readers.
Early in 1910, Rev. Andrew Colvin, the first ordained Minister appointed to Campsie, came to conduct services and very soon a site was selected - the present Church stands on this site. For over a year, while funds were raised, services were held in a tent that was erected on the land now occupied by the Masonic Temple opposite the Church in Amy St.
On 22nd April, 1911, the then Archbishop of Sydney. The Most Reverend J. C. Wright, laid the Foundation Stone. On Saturday, 18th November. 1911, the Archbishop dedicated the Church and the first service was held on 19th November at 11 a.m. by Archdeacon Boyce. On 10th July, 1915, Mrs. Wright laid the Foundation Stone of the Parish Hall, and the Archbishop officiated at the Ceremony.
Rev Colvin continued his ministry until 1918 when Rev, Reginald Noake came to the district and took over until his death in 1923. Soon after Rev. Noake became Minister for the area, it was raised to the status of a Parish and during his ministry additions were made to the original Church, and in 1921 a Kindergarten Hall was erected as a Memorial to the men of the Parish who fell in the First World War.
A branch Sunday School was started during Rev Colvin's ministry and flourished throughout Rev Noake’s ministry. The Church building erected in South Canterbury for many years bore the name "Reginald Noake Memorial." This Church, now St James' South Canterbury, was erected under the guidance of the next minister, Rev. Horace Croft, who was Rector from 1923 to 1937.
The first Rectory owned by the Parish was in Evaline Street, it was later sold and a new one purchased in Amy Street.
Early in 1929, fire destroyed the Church building in Campsie and the parishioners were faced with the task of re-building. After only ten months the Church was not only restored, but completed with Baptistry and furnishings as they are to-day. The Foundation Stone was laid by the then Governor, Sir Dudley de Chair, on 19th July, 1929, and Archbishop Wright dedicated the Church on 19th October, 1929.
Rev. Cecil Short was the next Minister and served for ten years, during which time the Rectory in Amy Street was sold and the present Rectory - a larger and more suitable building - was purchased. On 21st October, 1945, Bishop Jean Pilcher consecrated St. John's and unveiled a commemorative tablet. In 1946, St. James' South Canterbury was made a provisional district under the leadership of Rev Alan Funnel, was one of a number of young men associated with St. John's in earlier years.
Soon after Rev Short moved from Campsie, he was tragically killed in a car accident. The parishioners decided to remodel the Sanctuary at St. John's as a Memorial to him. This was dedicated on 11th December, 1949. From 1947 to 1949 Rev Begbie was Rector; he was followed by Rev. R. F. Dillon, whose ministry lasted until 1957. The present Rector, Rev. Jeffrey Mills commenced his Ministry on 31st January, 1958.
The writer and his wife, Dorothy, were Sunday School teachers at St. John's for many years, and now live at Miranda.
CAMPSIE POST OFFICE HISTORY
In 1899 the residents of Campsie and the surrounding district made representations for the establishment of a Post Office. At this time their letters were being delivered by the mounted (horseback) letter carrier from Canterbury Post Office which had been opened on 1st April, 1858. (Journal No. 6)
A petition dated 8th November 1899 asked for a Post Office "at Croydon Park or Campsie". The petition contained 114 signatures, the leading signatures were those of James Bull, John Bull, Charles Bull, J. T. Ayres and Joseph Weston.
FIRST POST OFFICE
The Postmaster-General approved of the opening of a Post Office at Campsie as from 1st April, 1900. This provided facilities for the sale of stamps and postal notes, and for the registration of letters. Letter deliveries were made from the Canterbury Post Office.
Mr. G.M. Fitzpatrick, J.P. provided premises at the eastern corner of the junction of Browning and Beamish Sts. (This section of Beamish St is now known as Brighton Ave.) Mr. Fitzpatrick conducted a "Stationers" business, and his wife, Mrs. J.E. Fitzpatrick was placed in charge of the Post Office. Mrs, Fitzpatrick was paid £13 p.a. for her postal work.
The Postal Inspector had reported that the nearest Post Offices were at Canterbury, Croydon and Enfield and that a letter receiver situated near Campsie railway station was cleared by mounted letter carrier from Canterbury at 8.30 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. daily and that about six letters daily were collected from the box.
PETITION FOR CHANGE OF POST OFFICE SITE
In Sept. 1905, a petition was received from 64 residents of the "Redmans Estate, Harcourt Estate and Campsie Street" asking for the removal of the P.O. to a more central position. The Postmaster at Canterbury reported concerning the area: "In Harcourt there are over 50 houses, in Redmans over 60, in Campsie St. 20 and top end of Campsie over 50". A counter-petition signed by over 400 people opposed the removal of the Post Office. However, after investigation it was decided to remove the P.O. to the premises of Mr.Joseph Wright who conducted a General Store in Ninth Ave., and to make the Office a Telegraph Office. Mr. Wright delivered telegrams within a mile radius, for 2d. each.
Mr. Wright was appointed Postmaster and the Office opened at the new site on 9th July, 1906. Telegrams were sent and received by means of a telephone which was installed at the new Office for the purpose. The telephone line was connected to the Ashfield Telephone Exchange, and its installation meant that public telephone facilities were made available at Campsie Post Office for the first time.
Mr. Wright’s allowances, in addition to the sum of 2d, for each telegram delivered, comprised £10 P.A. for postal duties and £5 p.a. for attending to the telephone.
Postal Statistics for 1907 show that business conducted at Campsie for that year was as follows:
Letters posted weekly.......................................137
Mails received and dispatched weekly........................12
Telegrams transmitted annually..............................353
Telegrams received annually.................................1206
In May, 1908, Charles Cannon, a Letter Carrier at Canterbury Post Office asked for assistance in delivering letters to Campsie, He Said:
:"Of late I have been compelled to walk on my letter delivery "Campsie" through wet weather, as during such time and for days after a bicycle is absolutely useless. As the whole of the streets on my beat being :grass clay or gravel and after heavy rain it would be impossible to ride a bike from one side to the other. I may also state in fine weather the bicycle is often out of order through no fault of my own and to :do it on foot. I have a mile walk, before I reach the first place on my beat, which takes in the whole of Campsie on the north side of the Railway extending to Margaret St."
Concerning the Campsie Letter Deliveries the Postmaster Canterbury reported:-
:"The Campsie beat is carried out on a bicycle. The roads of that part are such that the machine cannot be used in wet weather or for a day or two after, but it must not be overlooked that the average number :of wet days, throughout the year is not very great. The Carriers statement that the bicycle is often out of order I cannot endorse."
On 30th Jan, 1909, Postman Cannon’s bicycle was withdrawn and he was granted a forage allowance of £31 .4.0 p.a. to provide a horse for the letter delivery.
Complaints made by business people and residents during 1908 concerned late letter deliveries; single daily letter deliveries for some areas; the closing of the Post Office for an hour for lunch; the last mail which left Campsie at 4 p.m.; and the inadequacy of the Post Office premises.
A letter from Henry Hook, President of the Campsie Shopkeepers Assn. dated October, 1908, said - "the shanty that does duty here for conducting postal etc. business. It’s one room neither ceiled, lined or painted is doing duty for a Post Office, a paint store and a barbers shop."
The following points were included in a report, dated Sept., 1908, by the Postal Inspectors:
:"The main complaint from residents is the limitation of the afternoon delivery and the non-delivery to new estates that have been opened up during the past few years. Public telephone facilities are :inadequate, there being a public telephone at Campsie available only during office hours, although a continuous public telephone is in operation at Belmore railway station. There were no mails made up :either at Campsie or Belmore, the letter boxes at the offices, and the letter receivers being cleared by postmen on their rounds."
In Oct 1908 approval was given for the extension of the letter deliveries twice daily to all places within one mile radius of Canterbury, Campsie and Belmore Post Offices; and the despatch of malls direct from Campsie and Belmore at 10 a.m. and at 8.30 p.m. A continuous public telephone service was also approved.
A deputation from Campsie, led by the Hon. Bruce Smith, M.H.R., visited the G.P.O. and submitted a request for better facilities at the Campsie Post Office.
Mr. Hook, Shopkeepers Assn. President, further stated:-
:"the present office is a barn of a place, neither ceiled nor lined; is divided from the other premises by a few sheets of iron, and is netted in with wire in the front. The portion left for the Post Office :is very narrow. The whole thing is only the skeleton of a building.
:"I live next door, and people come to my place to inquire where the Post Office is, and letters are posted in my letter box instead of at the Post Office. People have told me they were under the impression the Post Office was a Chinese vegetable store .... Again, as regards the telephoning of telegrams, this has to be done in the hearing of anyone who may be in the barber’s or paint shop, there is no privacy in the conduct of the telegraph business, and therefore people will not use this facility. In fact anyone standing out on the footpath can hear what is being sent .... "
Postal Inspector Arnott subsequently visited Campsie and confirmed these complaints, and the Post Office was transferred to the shop of Mr. P. J. Clatworthy in Beamish Street, near the Railway Station. A Newsagents business was conducted by Mr. Clatworthy at these premises, and as he was assisted by his wife he agreed to keep the Post Office open continuously between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Mr Clatworthy was appointed Postmaster on 1st Feb., 1909. Business was conducted in a room at the back of the shop. A rough plan gives the position of the shop as "2nd lot from the Station," and appears to have been on the Eastern side of Beamish Street. Letters for Campsie were still delivered from Canterbury.
In Dec., 1909, Mr. Clatworthy moved into different premises on the opposite side of the street. Here the Post Office occupied the rear half of the shop and was divided from the shop by a partition. The public telephone appears to have been on the footpath outside. In July 1910, Savings Bank facilities were made available at the Post Office.
OFFICIAL POST OFFICE.
Postal business at Campsie increased rapidly as the district progressed, and In April, 1911, Postal Inspector Quick recommended that the Post Office be raised to official status, with a staff of Postmaster, two letter carriers, and a Messenger. Approval was given for a permanent official known as a Senior Assistant (In Charge) to be placed in charge of Campsie Post Office, and for a Telegraph Messenger to be appointed.
In Feb, 1912, arrangements were completed with a Mr. Lyon to rent a brick cottage for temporary use as an official Post Office, and this was opened on 1st March, 1912, with Mr. H.H. Sawkins temporarily in charge. Mr. John J. Russell was appointed Senior Assistant (In Charge) and commenced duty at Campsie on 24th June, 1912. He was assisted by a Telegraph Messenger. Letters were still delivered from Canterbury.
According to a report dated October, 1912, postal business was conducted through a small window. Shortly after this the front verandah of the cottage was enclosed, providing more public space, and the public telephone bureau was installed "in the garden plot". Savings Bank business was removed from Campsie Post Office on 30th Sept., 1912.
The site for the existing official Post Office building in Anglo Road was acquired on 5th April, 1913. A building was erected in 1910 at a cost of £1,959.0.0, and was opened on 15th April, 1916. Records list the following Postmasters' names as having been appointed to Campsie subsequent to Mr.J. Russell (1912):
Evans W. F.
Russell J. J.
Hazlett E, J. K
Osborne C. J.
Holmes W. J.
Seckold F. E.
Robson R. T.
Curtois A. R.
Printed by courtesy of The Director Posts & Telegraphs, G.P.O., Sydney,
NOTE: A new and larger Post Office has been erected on the Anglo Road site; this was opened on 23rd September, 1974. Mr. S. Slattery is the present Postmaster
LAKEMBA IN 1923
A copy of an "Information Booklet and Business Directory" issued by the Lakemba Chamber of Commerce in 1923 has been loaned to the Canterbury and District Historical Society by Mrs. I. Somers, 43 Ernest Street, Lakemba. The Canterbury Municipal Library, Campsie, has a photo copy of the booklet in its Local History File. The booklet has 48 pages (8" x 5 ¼ ) and contains advertisements by local shop-keepers and businesses, with general service information for the suburb and district.
Part of the introduction is worth quoting:
"Lakemba is the acknowledged Queen Suburb of the Bankstown line. Its salubrious climate, beautiful undulating streets, its height above sea level, its magnificent views of the Blue Mountains, with the beautiful Georges River country between, make an earthly Paradise of which its Citizens are so justly proud. Only a few years ago the whole area was covered with dense scrub. Now a thriving town has arisen with phenomenal speed. The progress that has been made in the last four years is almost unbelievable. The population has grown in that period from 3500 to 12000, over 100 new shops have been erected, and many miles of new streets have been formed. Land values have increased more rapidly than in any other suburb.....The Public School, built to accommodate 1200 children, has already had to be doubled in size. Many of the shops would be a credit to the central parts of Sydney..."
Among the general information are timetables for the train service to and from Sydney. There was a train from Sydney to Lakemba every four minutes from 5.8 P.M. to 6 P.M. In off-peak periods, trains operated every 30 minutes. The return fare was 1/6d. second class, or 2/4d. first class. A Workman’s Weekly Ticket cost 3/11 d.
The horse bus fare was 2d. to the corner of Canary and Canterbury Roads, and another 1d. to the corner of Shorter Ave. and Penshurst Road. The journey time was 20 mins., and there were four return journeys in the morning and four in the evening. An extra bus left Shorter Ave. at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesdays and Saturdays for Spencer's Picture Palace, returning after the shows. Spencer's Picture Palace was in Haldon St., (cnr. Gillies St.), and there were shows on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday evenings. The hall was open on other nights for engagements.
Other bus services in the district included one from Lakemba Station to Central Station, via Belmore School, South Enfield, Ashfield, Summer Hill, Lewisham and Petersham Stations and Parramatta Road. H.Tuckwell was the Proprietor. Hoskins Bros, operated a half-hourly service between Campsie Station and Canterbury Road, Punchbowl, with a stop at the corner of Haldon Street and Canterbury Road. Jones Bros, had a bus service between Campsie and Punchbowl Stations with stops at Haldon Street and Lakemba Street.
As an indication of the reliance on public transport at that time, the Booklet lists other bus services in 1923:
From Punchbowl: to East Bankstown via Punchbowl Road.
From Belmore: to Burwood, via Enfield and Strathfield.
From Campsie: to Burwood, via Croydon Park, Western Suburbs Hospital and Ireland's Hotel (H. Frost, Proprietor) and to Rockdale and Brighton-le- sands, via Canterbury Road and Sharpe Street,(now Kingsgrove Rd.) Belmore.
From Canterbury: to Dobroyd Point via Ashfield and Haberfield.
From Sydenham: to Earlwood and Undercliffe. (W. Brady Proprietor).
(Some of these routes were taken over by the Government in the 1930's and still operate to day, e.g. routes 492, 487 and 415. Others still operate as private services). Government tram services in 1923 are not mentioned in the Booklet, probably because these were some distance from Lakemba.
The office hours at Canterbury Town Hall in Canterbury Road, Canterbury, were 9 a.m. - 4.30p.m. and 5.30 p.m. 9 p.m. on Mondays, 9 a.m. 3.30 p.m. Tuesday to Friday, and closed Saturday.
Canterbury Police Court and offices were also at the Town Hall, with the Clerk of Petty Sessions present for three days each fortnight (phone U1780) and Court days each alternate Friday. The nearest Police Station to Lakemba was in Anderson Street, Belmore, with Sergeant McIntosh as Officer-in-Charge. (phone U2004).
The Lakemba Post Office was in Railway Parade, opposite the Railway Station (the present site is on the opposite side of the railway line). There were Postal Letter Boxes in Wileys Ave., (near the Public School); Sproule St. (corner Myee St.); Canterbury Rd., (near Haldon St.), and Haldon St. (opposite Spencer's Picture Theatre). Telephones were at the Railway Station, Haldon St., Canterbury Rd. near Haldon St.; and the corner of Wiley's Ave. and Lakemba St.
Mr. Dunn was the Headmaster and Miss Molster was the Headmistress of Lakemba Public School (Wileys Ave.).
Four banks were represented in Lakemba in 1923.
Doctors Burriskill and Byrne, four nurses and two chemists are listed, and the Canterbury and Bankstown Ambulance Transport Service was in Beamish St., Campsie.
Business with the Electricity Department was done with the Town Hall, George Street, Sydney (Phone City 10663), while the Australian Gaslight Company, Haymarket, had a local depot in Canterbury Rd. Belmore.
Local newspapers were the "Echo" and the "Alert", both of Campsie.
Other information listed included the churches and their encumbents, Friendly Societies, Sports Clubs, the Progress Association, Lakemba Citizens Band (which played in the main street every Friday night), Boy Scouts, Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and School of Arts, and State, Federal and Municipal representatives.
Those interested in knowing more about Lakemba in 1923 will find much useful information in this Booklet. The members of the Chamber of Commerce who prepared the Booklet over 50 years ago may not have thought of its historical value when they expressed the hope that the information it contained would "be of use....in many ways."
B. J. Madden.
CAMPSIE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
When, with the coming of the Railway and the sub-division of the large estates, the population of Campsie increased two-fold, the need for a Church for the Presbyterian community became evident. The nearest Presbyterian Church was Rosedale, (this is what the lower Croydon Park area was called), and at Ashfield and Marrickville. Weekly services were being held at Rosedale as early as 1883, by Rev's. Robert Walker and Steven Mills, under the supervision of the Ashfield Church.
In 1899 the Rev. George Hay, a former Presbyterian Minister was conducting services in a building in Shakespeare Street, Campsie. The following is taken from the "Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church in New South Wales”
"...The Campsie Mission started with the purchase in August 1903, through assistance from the Church and Manse Loan Fund, of a weatherboard Church which was in the market. The Church was unfurnished and presented only bare walls, but the new trustees forthwith set to work and within a week the building was provided with all the requisites, and the first service was conducted by the Rev. John Walker, with a crowded congregation.
The Mission was put under the charge of the Marrickville Kirk Session. The Rev. W. Beck was Moderator and no time was lost in organising the district. Mr. F. L. A. Schloeffel was the first Agent appointed, he did excellent work. During his term of service the Property was fenced and furnishing of the Church completed. He was followed by Mr. J. McMurtrie in January 1904, who continued until July when Mr .W. S. Laurie was appointed and continued until September 1905. There is a large and flourishing Sunday School, Band of Hope and Fellowship Association."
During my search for information on the Campsie Presbyterian Church, I did not at any time find a reference to its location in Evaline Street earlier than 1910, when Sands Suburban Directory lists it as being in Evaline Street. From 1898 on till then the Presbyterian Church was in Shakespeare Street (according to Sands).
First of all, Rev. George Hay and then Rev. James Marshall, are mentioned as Ministers. In a book "The Challenge of the Years", the Rev. C. A. White mentions that the Shakespeare Street building was purchased by the Presbyterian Church in 1903. In 1907 Rev. James Marshall was inducted to the charge of Canterbury Rosedale, Campsie included, but this charge became vacant when Rev. J. Marshall resigned in 1909.
The Rev. C. A. White goes on to say that in 1907 it was proposed to move the Shakespeare Street Church bodily to Evaline Street. This was done in 1908 despite many problems and difficulties during its removal, for a number of hours it was stuck on a bridge at one stage. However, all must have ended well, because at the time of writing the book, 1951, the back portion of the Sunday School was the same building. One wonders what bridge it was Beamish Street has only the Railway bridge, or perhaps it could have been taken under the railway line, from North Parade round via South Parade.
However, going back to 1903, the weekend of 17th, 18th and 19th October, marked the official Ceremonies to inaugurate the Campsie Presbyterian Church. The "Presbyterian Messenger" reported that the Right Rev. Dr. Bruce (Moderator of the General Assembly in Australia) would preach at Campsie, on Sunday the 18th and on 19th October he would preside at a Special meeting of the Campsie congregation. Mr. W. Wood, Secretary of the N.S.W. Church addressed the children and their parents in the afternoon. The evening service was taken by Mr. Schloeffel.
The "Messenger" reported that the church was filled at each service. A concert was held on the 19th in aid of the building fund, an excellent programme was provided and "was in every way a grand success".
The Moderator and Mr. Wood congratulated the Committee of Management, and said the amount of work done in regard to the church property, since the organisation of the congregation some three months back was outstanding.
A few months later the Xmas services were reported, and the number of people attending were particularly noted. A Xmas tree for children of the Sunday School was held on December 23rd. Mr. A. W. Stone the Superintendent of the Sunday School announced that from August the number of children had increased from 80 to 138.
The following Twenty years were years of growth for Campsie and to cater for the increased population, the Presbyterian Church planned a new and larger church.
The foundation stone of the new Church was laid by Dr. R. W. McCreadie on the 1st December, 1923 (Dr. McCredie was a wellknown Medical Practitioner in Campsie, he lived in a two-storey house on the corner of South Parade and Harold Street and had his Surgery there). Back to the Presbyterian Church, it was opened on 5th April, 1924, the doors being opened by Mrs. J. Fielden and Mrs. A. Stone. The dedication service was conducted by the Moderator, Rev. G. M. Scott.
Rev. C.A. White in his book says, the land cost £360, the church and furnishings cost £4150. I am not sure if additional land cost £360, or if that was the cost of land back in 1903. To complete the Campsie Parish a Manse was purchased in Evaline Street, for £3600 in March 1950.
By Nora K. Peek.
Sources of information acknowledged with my thanks.
"The Challenge of the Years" - History of the Presbyterian Church. Rev. C. A .White B.A. Angus & Robertson 1951.
"Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church in N.S.W." Vol. 2 Angus & Robertson 1905.
"Presbyterian Messenger" November & December 1903, January 1904.
CANTERBURY - A HISTORY OF ITS PROGRESS
(Further extracts from The Echo, 2nd Oct., 1890)
The sugar-mill was purchased by Messrs. Ralph Mayer Roby, Edward Knox and Clarke Irving, Mr. James Roby being general manager.
About the year 1850 a branch establishment was erected in Sydney, at the corner of Pitt and Liverpool streets. The building was afterwards occupied (until it was burned down) as a tobacco factory by Messrs. Cameron and Co. In 1855 the company, finding that the expense of carting cane from Sydney to Canterbury, and sugar from Canterbury to Sydney, was too heavy, purchased the old distillery formerly owned by Mr. Robert Cooper, on the Blackfriars’s Estate, George Street, West, and removed the whole of the business to that place, where it was carried on until the present site at Pyrmont was purchased, and the buildings now in use were constructed. The present directors are Messrs. William Fanning. Edward Knox, Walter Lamb, William Walker, and Edwin Tooth, with Mr. Deloitte as secretary.
The closing of the sugar-mill was a great blow to the "ancient village”, from which, in fact, it has not yet recovered. The removal of the men employed made
A SERIOUS REDUCTION
in the population, and caused two of the hotels to close up almost immediately. A proposal, it is said, was made that the railway should be built in that direction to Liverpool, and thence to Goulburn. But the influence brought to bear caused the line to be constructed to Parramatta. If this is the case, the Liverpool loop-line is an older question than is generally thought. But, even without a railway, had there only been a good road from Sydney to Canterbury, it is quite possible that the works might have been continued. The metropolitan district, however, has always been notorious for the badness of the roads, which are far worse than those within the same distance of any other large town in Australasia, This, no doubt, has tended to prevent the successful establishment of such industries as the Sugar Company's works outside Sydney, and has confined the population to much narrower limits than might under happier conditions have been necessary.
In that portion of THE PARISH OF ST. GEORGE now included in the municipal district of Canterbury the first grants were made to Messrs. Abraham Polack, 100 acres, known as the Undercliff estate, and several other blocks; Hannah Laycock, 500 acres; Samuel Laycock, 100 Acres; William Laycock, 100 acres; John Redman, 100 acres; Mrs Redman, 100 acres; W, P. Crook, Bramshott Farm, 100 acres; Richard Palmer, 100 acres; Joseph Broadbent; William Goodman; the Moorefields estate divided between Charles Watson, Thomas Brennan, William Lee, John Leadbeater, and others. What was afterwards known as Belmore was granted to F. Meredith, 120 acres; James Gorman, 120 acres; W. Bennett, 100 acres; Samuel Hockley, 50 acres; W, Howell, 60 acres; W, Bone 60 acres; J. Redman 100 acres; Isaac Titterton, T. Slack, Griffith, W. Bond, Salmon, and a number of others, with grants ranging from 20 acres upwards, many of the grantees being soldiers in the various regiments on service in the colony.
Mr. Adam Bond purchased a large estate, and engaged in farming and other pursuits. Dr G. A. Tucker, who opened the private lunatic asylum at St Peters, had
A LARGE MODEL FARM at Belmore. Mr. Samuel Taylor was an old resident, and still owns property at Canterbury; but for some years he has been residing in the Glebe. The Rev. Mr. Crook owned 100 acres, known as Burt’s Farm, Rosedale, Mr. Prout's farm was known as Belamba, and Mr. Alfred Miller had Bramshot or Miller’s Farm.
Mr. Quigg purchased Laycock's grant, some 40 years ago, and the Canterbury Road from the Burwood Road, to Salt Pan Creek, was opened up about 31 years ago.Subsequently, Mr. John C. Sharp purchased a considerable quantity of land in the district and erected a house thereon. Mr. J. H. Goodlet built Canterbury House, a magnificent place with well-laid-out grounds. (**ERRATUM: Canterbury House was built by Mr Arthur Jeffreys, not Mr Goodlet. After others, Mr John Hay Goodlet purchased it***). Mr. William Kutnewsky built Wilhelmsruhe, on the Canterbury Road; and Mr. David Jones, a fine house, with a grand tower, at Moorefields. Mr. Marcel van der Veld resides on the Canterbury Road, Mr. Felix Wilson in Homer Street, Mr. George W. Nicolls at Blink Bonnie.
At the extreme eastern point of the municipality is the hill, still known as Unwin's Hill, on which Mr. Frederick Wright Unwin (solicitor) erected his house. This hill is on the point formed by the junction of Cook's River and Wolli Creek, and commands a magnificent view over Botany Bay and the adjacent country. This house was built in 1830 on 100 acres of land purchased by Mr. Unwin. Mr. Unwin’s stables were on the opposite side of the river and 55 years ago he constructed a bridge, which has recently given place to a fine permanent structure, said to be out of the reach of floods. Unwin's Bridge, as it was called, was erected by 100 men, whose services were provided by the Government. Wanstead House, as Mr. Unwin’s residence was named, has been occupied for about 35 years by Mrs Campbell (widow of Mr. Edward Campbell, merchant, of Sydney.)
Mr. Samuel Hockley, who belonged to the 102nd Regiment (N.S.W. Corps; had a grant in Sydney from the corner of Goulburn Street, up Brickfield Hill. He carried on business there as a butcher, and planted several English oaks and an elder tree. The oaks may still be seen in an empty allotment in Goulburn Street, a few yards from George Street. Some of the acorns from these oaks were planted at Belmore, where there are also some elder trees. His 50 acres grant (which dates from 1810) at Belmore was, after his death, divided between his daughters, Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Miller. Mrs. Smith (who is 84 years of age) resides on the ground, where her daughter (Mrs. Trilton) and other members of the family also reside.
Mrs Miller's portion was sold to Mr. Macdonald, who erected a fine house there. Half an acre of this ground was set apart by Mrs. Miller for
A CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
which was erected some 18 years ago. The first to conduct service there was Mr. J. Barling (Principal Undersecretary of the Public Works). It is now served periodically by the Rev. William West, of Strathfield, assisted by lay helpers.
This estate was formerly known as "Potato Hill", from the fact that potatoes were grown there in very early times. It was named "Essex Hill," by Mr. Hockley, who was a native of Essex (England). On May 1, 1888, a school-church, known as the Belmore School-Church, was licensed, with the Rev. G. E. C. Childs as the officiating minister.
On 22nd December 1888 ST ALBANS SCHOOL - CHURCH
was opened at Moorefield. Both these churches are under the charge of the Rev. Ernest Wotton, who was licensed to the district on June 3, 1889. There is also a well-attended Wesleyan church at Moorefields.
At St. Paul's a burial-ground was consecrated on April, 12, 1860, and among those who are buried there may be mentioned:-
James Quigg (76), 1870, and Mary, his wife (83) 1881, and several others of the family, which is a very old one in the district;
Francis Cornwall Brownhead Bell, (32) 1864, teacher of St. Paul's school, and Emily Mary, his wife (33) 1866;
Ann O'Neil (68) 1865, wife of a very old resident, and her son, John O'Neil;
Barnabas Hartshorn (64), 1870, and Mary, his wife (72), 1870;
William Gilvray (63), 1867, and his wife, Margaret, (64) l873;
Alexander McIntosh, lately of Blairgowrie Cottage, Petersham, born Jan. 16, 1816, died Dec. 18, 1887;
William Henry Brown (87), 1887, and his wife, Eliza, (79),
Samuel Miller (86), 1875, once hotelkeeper at Canterbury, and several of his family;
William Rossiter (47), 1862;
Hercules O'Neil Wemyss, William Vicars Jackson (54) 1872, and Emma, His wife, (52), 1885;
William S. Bell, of Bexley (78),1872 Eliza his wife (52), 1862;
John Russel Jones (46) 1877, and Annie Warren his wife (33) 1866;
Isaac Cross (50), 1867;
Strange Briton Harbigan, captain in H.M. 3rd W. I. Regiment (52), 1878;
George Kenyon Holden, Chief Examiner of Land Titles, 1874;
Thomas Gill, 1875;
Bruce Hutchinson, 1876;
Sarah Elizabeth, wife of James Carter, incumbent of the parish, 1882, and two children; Henry Andrew Palmer, born 18--?, died 1879, for ten years incumbent of All Saints', Petersham, and formerly of this parish;
George Mackenzie Holden (40), 1887;
Thomas, son of the Rev. John Thomas, of Worcestershire, England;
Joseph Dewhurst (47), 1868;
James Beaver, (63), 1873, many years clerk of the parish, and Ann, his wife (72), 1873;
Joseph Gould (69), 1871;
Thomas Lloyd Gittins (72), 1875, and Priscilla Georgina, his wife, 1876;
James Cleghorn, (52), 1875, formerly of H.M.99th Regiment;
Fanny Olivia, wife of Richard Fathers Penfold, 1869;
Joseph and Ann Nobbs; Mary Jane, wife of Benjamin Bust 1875;
William Henry, son of John and M. A. Gelding, old residents of the district, now living at Petersham.
Further names mentioned of those people who were buried in St. Paul's burial-grounds :-
"William Pigg, (72), 1882;
Thomas Chipperfield (76), 1881, and Emma, his wife (68) 1875;
Charles CampbellStiles, son of the former minister of this parish;
William Slocombe (76) 1886, and Betsy Wilmot, his wife (79), 1887, old residents of the district;
Anne Julian, wife of V. M. Forbes, of Halstead, Canterbury, 1885;
William Duncan Stewart (43), 1874;
William Henry Sanderson and Marie, his wife;
William Hird, constable in the police force of New South Wales, killed while courageously performing his duty, August 13, 1885, aged 32;
Charles Vickers, architect, Petersham, 1883. This tomb bears the inscription.-
A few more struggles here, A few more partings o’er, A few more toils, a few more tears, And we shall weep no more. Some old residents are also buried in a cemetery attached to St. Alban's Church, Belmore, and others at the Wesleyan Cemetery, Moorefields. (To be continued)
NOTE: The foregoing information was published in "The Echo" on the 2nd October, 1890 as a part of a series entitled "The Suburbs of Sydney" No. XXIV - Canterbury. Our Journal, Series 2, No. 6, contained the first part of this article.
CANTERBURY 1890 SANDS DIRECTORY
Continued from previous Journal Series 2, No. 6.
North side George street to bush
HODGSON Zebulon, Nurseryman
North side George’s River road to Cook's river
ROLLO Frederick H.-bookmaker
HANNAH George W.,-tinsmith
BROSTER James E.
Canterbury New road to Kilbride street
TURKINGTON Robert H.-carter
PENDLEBURY Mrs."Bolton Cottage"
Canterbury New road to Kilbride street
North side George street to Cup and Saucer creek
AH HING & CO.-gardeners
East side New Canterbury road to Bonds road
GRICE Edward G.-upholsterer "Donnybrook"
BOYD Adam MANN James-surgeon
FELL Robert H.
ROSSITER F. R.-storekeeper
HILL William Henry
GEORGE'S RIVER ROAD
Ashfield to Burwood Road Croydon Avenue
SANDREY Hanibal, carpenter
GEE Alfred, carpenter
Broughton Ave - Dunmore St Melrose St
THOMPSON William, engineer
MCDONALD Benjamin J., blacksmith
STEID Frederick C., presser
MAY Isaac, painter
FROST Thomas, carrier
SERBENOFF Louis, butcher
BROWN Edward, gardener
ASMUS William, gardener
LEES Andrew, quarryman
LEES Edward, quarryman
HOLLYWOOD Mrs. S
GOODLET STREET EAST SIDE
King Street to bush
GOODLET John H. ,"Canterbury House"
BELL David, gardener
COPELAND Rev. Joseph
From George Street to bush
SHORTISS Charles, brick-Maker
BAGUST John G., quarry-master
KITT James, quarryman
George Street to bush
FRANKLIN Joseph, carpenter
BRADLEY John, gardener
TAYLOR Benjamin, council clerk
TAYLOR Mrs. C.
George's River Road to Cook's River
WALKER Robert, ironmonger
PENDLEBURY Elijah, brickmaster
HAP WAR., gardener
CASSIDY Thomas COTTLE Elijah, engineer
COTTLE George, engineer
COTTLE William, engineer
HIGH STREET - Fore St.
LUCAS John George, wool- scourer
PLUNKETT Henry James, constable
WILLOUGHBY John, quarry-master
THE CANTERBURY & DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY meets on the FOURTH TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH at 7,30 p.m. in the SENIOR CITIZENS’ CENTRE, REDMAN PARADE. BELMORE.
GUEST SPEAKERS FILMS TOURS
VISITORS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME. ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION:
$5.00 Single Member $3.00 Members on fixed incomes.
PRESIDENT: Mrs. T. Roberts, 77 Banks Road. EARLWOOD. 2206. Phone: 55 6716
HON. SECRETARY: Mrs.F. Muller, 14 Willunga Ave., EARLWOOD, 2206. Phone: 78 3937
To keep in line with the times, of some of the stories in this Journal, various denominations of money, length and area, then in use, have been retained. If desired, a few approximate conversion examples will assist at a glance.
1 acre = 0.405 hectare
1 mile = 1.609 Kilometres
7 miles = 11.265 Kilometres
12 miles = 19.312 Kilometres
14 miles = 22.531 Kilometres
1 gallon = 4.54609 litres
4 gallons = 18.18436 litres
1 penny = 1 cent
6 pence= 5 cents
1 shilling = 10 cents
A few shillings = a few X 10 cents
Cultural Grant assistance for this project is acknowledged.