Canterbury Sugarworks Heritage Panel
Canterbury Sugarworks 1840-42
Cooks River Cycle Path, near Church Street, Canterbury Unveiled by Councillor John Gorrie, Mayor of Canterbury on 3rd April 1995.
This heritage building is on the Register of the National Estate, being of Australia-wide significance. Built for the Australian Sugar Company as a sugar refinery, work began on the Sugar Works in late 1840 and it opened in September 1842. Local sandstone and ironbark timber was used, and Cooks River was dammed to provide fresh water for boilers. Raw sugar was imported from overseas and brought by cart from Sydney to Canterbury for processing into white sugar and molasses. Though extremely efficient, the Sugar Works closed in 1854 in a labour shortage caused by the goldrush. The company was re-formed as the Colonial Sugar Refining Co., and concentrated its operations closer to the city. The building was renovated in 1885 by Blacket & Co. as a heavy engineering factory, but this failed within five years. It was used as a bacon factory by Denham's from 1899 to 1906, then from 1908 to 1982 by J C Hutton Pty Ltd. It was purchased by Nick Scali Furniture in 1983.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden.