In 1883, an area of 20 acres bounded by the original Canterbury Farm on the north was purchased by the Government from Arthur Frederick Jeffreys at 250 pounds an acre for a public park. Canterbury Park was dedicated in 1883, and proclaimed on 8 December 1885. The land was rectangular in shape, with the longest sides ring north-south, and the creek which had formed Richard Johnson's boundary ran along the northern edge. In 1889, the Government negotiated with Jeffreys to alter the boundaries to exclude the low-lying land along this creek. The land exchange was completed in 1891, and the new park was proclaimed on 13 October 1893.