Canterbury House Heritage Panel
Canterbury House 1850-1929
Leopold St. between Leith & Alison streets, Croydon Park
This photograph was taken in 1927, only a year or two before Canterbury House was demolished. The earliest part of the house, facing south, was a two-storey rustic Gothic building designed about 1850 by the architect Edmund Blacket for Arthur Jeffreys, son-in-law of Robert Campbell. It had a cleared avenue overlooking Cooks River, a tree-lined drive (now Trevenar Street) from Ashfield Station, and gardens full of roses, geraniums, azaleas, rhodendrons and camellias, described in the 1870's "as a mass of white, purple and red". After Jeffery's death in 1861, there were a number of tenants. In 1876, Canterbury House was bought by John Hay Goodlet, who built a rear wing, shown in the foreground of the picture. After Goodlet's death in 1914, his widow, Elizabeth Forbes, subdivided the surrounding land from 1920 as "Goodlet's Estate". It was left to the Presbyterian Church on her death in 1926, and the final subdivision of this block took place on 25th May, 1929.
Prepared by Canterbury City Library. Research for this panel by Lesley Muir and Brian Madden. Photograph for this panel courtesy Royal Australian Historical Society, map courtesy Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW