After Robert Campbell died in 1846, part of his estate was inherited by his son-in-law Arthur Jeffreys, who engaged the architect Edmund Blackett to design a gentleman's residence. This mansion became known as Canterbury House, and was located at the end of a carriage drive that is now Trevenar Street, overlooking Cooks River, with an avenue down to the river and large flower gardens. It was an Ashbury landmark until it was demolished in the 1920s.
In 1876, Canterbury House and the surrounding area was sold to John Hay Goodlet, and the area west of King Street became known as Goodlet’s Bush. John’s widow began to subdivide the paddocks of Goodlet's Bush after 1919 (the area surrounding Canterbury House) into suburban allotments. It was left to the Presbyterian Church on her death in 1926, and the final subdivision of this block took place on 25th May, 1929.