Canterbury Bacon factory
In 1900 the Sugar Mill was sold to the produce merchants Denham Brothers, who opened the Canterbury Bacon factory in the premises. Eight years later the bacon factory was purchased by JC Huttons, and the structure formed the basis of their operations in the area. Other extensions were added, and the meat processing continued for over forty years. Huttons eventually built a large modern bacon and small-goods plant on the site, opened by Prime Minister Fraser in 1977. It closed in 1983.
- The Sydney Mail - Dec 14, 1901. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1302&dat=19011214&id=yQFQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-5QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2290,7769125
- LARCOMBE, Frederick A. Change and challenge: a history of the municipality of Canterbury. [Canterbury, NSW]: Canterbury Municipal Council, 1979. p. 361