Belmore Sports Ground
Belmore Sports Ground, formerly known as Belmore Oval, is a multi-purpose stadium in Belmore, New South Wales, Australia. The park covers 22 acres (89,000 m2) and from 1951 has contained the Belmore Bowling Recreation Club green. It is close to Belmore railway station.
The stadium has a capacity of 25,000 people and was built in 1920. The ground record crowd for Belmore was set on 12 April 1993 when 27,804 fans saw Canterbury defeat local rivals Parramatta 42-6. The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Sydney Olympic Football Club are the current co-tenants of the ground.
In 1920, the local council took steps to acquire park areas around the Belmore area. The park was named after the suburb it was located: Belmore Park. Belmore Park was eventually purchased in three sections between 1918 and 1921. The first two parcels were purchased by the State government and the third by Council. The park was opened around the early 1920s, the land was formerly known as Gunn's Paddock. In 1936, council purchased a large stand from the Sydney Cricket Ground and had it re-erected at the park as part of unemployment relief works. This stand was opened on March 14, 1936 by Mayor SE Parry and was named after him. Around 1967, council moved other sports played at the park to grounds else-where and rugby league was given priority.
The ground is currently (and mainly) used for Association football as the home ground for former Australian National League club Sydney Olympic FC, who now competes in the New South Wales Premier League.
When Olympic was in the National Soccer League, from 1977 when the league started, they played at the ground. In 2001, they left the ground to join Toyota Stadium. Once the league ceased in mid-2004, the team returned to Belmore, competing in lower competitions.
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs NRL team played their home games at Belmore Sports Ground from 1935 until 1998, after which time the club moved its home games to a series of more modern stadiums (currently ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park). The club still used Belmore for training and administration, but subsequently moved these functions to a facility at Olympic Park in early 2008, leaving the club with no connection to the Sports Ground for the first time since the 1930s. However, the club has recently announced its intention to redevelop the facilities at Belmore and move training and administration back to the ground. The Canterbury-Bankstown club have relocated their offices and are now training at the ground.  In 2011, the Bulldogs NSW Cup, SG Ball and Harold Matthews teams began playing most home games at Belmore once again.
The spectators' hill on the eastern side of the ground is named after Bulldogs legend Terry Lamb.
From 1982 until the end of 1985, the Parramatta Eels used the ground as their temporary home ground while Parramatta Stadium was under construction. The St George Dragons also used the ground for one season in 1988 while Kogarah Oval was re-developed.
The ground record was 27,804, played between the Bulldogs and Parramatta Eels team on 12 April 1993.
- "Rugby League Tables / Canterbury 42 v Parramatta 6 / Round 5, 1993". Stats.rleague.com. 1993-04-12. http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1993/199304120618.html. Retrieved 2013-05-21.