Belmore North Public School
Belmore North Public School is situated at 193-201 Burwood Road in Belmore and was opened in 1903. The school was expanded a lot in the time straight after World War I and the school motto is "Building on Strengths - Focused on the Future". The uniform is blue polo shirt with navy pants or shorts. There are 360 students who are both boys and girls and 35 staff members.
89% of the students speak a language other than English when at home and 38 different language groups are represented at the school which shows the cultural diversity.
Establishment of a school
A deputation seeking the establishment of a school at Belmore near the railway station met the Minister, James Hogue on 22 August 1899 and presented an application for a school. Belmore railway station had opened on 1 February 1895 and it had been known as Burwood Road while being constructed. Reporting on the application on 4 October, Inspector William Dwyer wrote that the residents were mechanics, poultry farmers and wood carters and that "They are for the most (part) in poor or very moderate circumstances, and have not a permanent interest in the place". Dwyer also noted that "Three public schools are within easy reach of the children name in the list; one - Canterbury - by rail, and two - Belmore (later Lakemba) and Moorefields (later Belmore South) by road". He gave his opinion that the school should not be established for these reasons and this opinion prevailed at the time.
A second deputation asking for a school was met by the Minister, John Perry, on 25 April 1901, which was successful. Inspector Lobban recommended that the school be established and this recommendation was approved. In May 1902 the architect had been instructed to prepare plans for the school and teacher's residence. The Minister, however, approved the deputy chirf inspector's recommnedation that only the school building be erected. It was built by J M Wilson of Newtown for the contract price of £560. The rectangular building comprosed a long schoolroom 42 ft x 21 ft with sixteen 12 ft desks, plus a classroom and verandah. The terra cotta tablet reading "Public School 1903" was supplied by Frederick Liebentriit & Sons of Cumberland Pottery and Tile Works near Enfield for the sum of £3. The school at this time (and was until 1908) situated away from any houses.
The School opens
John Jarvie was appointed as the school's first teacher on 6 November 1903. Belmore North Public School opened in the week ending 20 November 1903 with an enrolment of 53 in the first week. It was officially opened by State Treasurer, Thomas Waddell, on 18 November 1903. By August 1904 the building was too small for the enrolment and a new room measuring 28 ft x 21 ft was added in the following year.In February 1905, Jarvie drew the Department's attention to the fact that after rain the creek between the Redman Estate and the school was a danger to the 40 or 50 children who crossed it to go to and from school. Jarvie was retired in February 1908 on account of ill health at the age of 45. After Jarvie, James Harler was acting head until Samuel A Long was appointed in June 1909. Long was moved to St Peters School in March 1910 and was replaced at Belmore by James McKay.
In 1922 the tender of the construction of Government Buildings for £5840 was accepted for the erection of an infants building. The school's enrolment peaked during the 1930s - being 1445 in 1930 and 1546 in 1935.
School's name changes
From September 1907 the school's name was changed from Belmore North to Belmore. This change of name was to keep in line with the proposed opening of a [[[Belmore Post Office|post office]] near Belmore railway station to be known as Belmore. The school was changed back to its original name, Belmore North, in April 1918.