In 1912, £30 was voted to erect a bandstand in Elgin Square and in 1914 money was voted for fencing in the area. The bandstand does not appear to have been erected until 1914 and work was begun on the construction of a flag pole. The engineer was instructed in April, 1916, to prepare a plan for the beautification of the area. In August, 1916, Elgin Square was renamed Anzac Square and the commemoration stone was unveiled on September 2nd.
JERVIS, James : A History of the Municipality of Canterbury. [Campsie, NSW: Canterbury City Council], 1951.